Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding lost relatives

Hi,

I am trying to track down my fiancée's relatives from her fathers side of the family.
    Her dad dies when she was 10 and due to family circumstances her mum didnt keep in contact with her dead husbands large family.

My fiancée has had a difficult life due to the loss of her father and has always wanted to find her uncles, aunts and cousins from her fathers side but it is difficult as her Dad was from a large Irish family that moved to London, I believe his family could be spread out across England, Ireland and America. Their family name is Sexton which is also a well known Irish family name.

I am struggling where to start really. especially as there are no other names to go off except her fathers name, his birth and death records.

I have looked at family tree websites, ancestry etc but dont want to pay a subscription as I dont know if these would help my circumstances as I'm not trying to look back over 100 years etc.

Has anyone got any advice?

thanks

Her father's birth certificate will give you details of his date and place of birth and the names of his parents. These facts should help you to search on FreeBMD for possible siblings of her father, as a starting point. I don't think online family trees on Ancestry would be very helpful, as the people you are looking for are too recent in time.
    You might like to consider membership of a site such as Genes Reunited, which could help you find living relatives of the father, via their membership contact service.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-07-15, 13:13.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet,

cant seem to find any records of him on there unfortunately. Thanks for you help though.

I will consider Genes Reunited

Comment

As the father is deceased, you may post on here his name and any known details of his birth and death dates, IF you wish to do so.
        Was he born in England /Wales (in which case his birth should be on the GRO Eng/Wales index) or in N Ireland or Eire?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hello bilton_2

I have a membership to Genes Reunited and happy to look up family names on there for you if you wish.
          Did her parents marry if so when as we can look up the marriage records.
          We do have a PM system here where you can send and receive messages but you will need to post ten massages first before you can use it so you can post some messages to bring your total up to ten, we have quizzes and stuff hobbies and so on where you can spend a couple of minutes adding messages.
          Once you hit ten messages written and posted you can send any member a PM by clicking on their user name I am clematised this will offer you a drop down box which offers you a few choices on is to send a private message, click that and follow the instruction and the rest is simple.
          Some members are good at finding living people so we may be able to help once we have all the details.

Edna

Comment

Sexton is a really big name on GR so I would need to really narrow it down to finer details.

Edna

Comment

bilton_2 please check your inbox as I have left more messages for you

I have been working in the background on this as bilton sent me a PM with some information and I have found a possible living rellie on GR

Edna

Comment

Working...
              X