• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relationship query

Can someone please tell me how my son is related to:
    a) my 1st cousin 1x removed
    b) my 2nd cousin 1x removed

Are they the same relationship, but 2x removed?

It still taxes my brain working out how relatives are related to other relatives!

Originally posted by walsy55 View Post
    Can someone please tell me how my son is related to:
    a) my 1st cousin 1x removed
    b) my 2nd cousin 1x removed

Are they the same relationship, but 2x removed?

It still taxes my brain working out how relatives are related to other relatives!
    I think it will be second cousin 1x removed. 1st cousins are all from your parents brothers and sisters so can never be a 1st cousin to someone further down the generations to you. A 1st cousin 1 x removed is the child of that cousin and any children of theirs would be 2 x removed to you and so on down that line.

If you have Family Tree Maker as your tree programme you can use the relationship calculator tool to select the people concerned and find out their relationship.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 19-07-15, 14:42.

Comment

Capture.jpgCapture2.jpg
      The image of the grid came from this forum some years ago, but I cannot find it on the site any longer

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Have a look here for links to various relationship charts http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ees-of-Kinship - including the one Trevor has posted above
        Barbara

Comment

Margaret, Trevor, Barbara - many thanks for your replies, which have pointed me in the right direction. I hadn't seen those 'relationship charts' before but they, and the calculators, are precisely what I was looking for. I am sure I will be using them again and again.

They tell me that my son is the 2nd cousin of my 1st cousin 1x removed, and the 3rd cousin of my 2nd cousin 1x removed.

Comment

I think that the reference section of the forum needs these listed more clearly, such as in the research tools section, as I could not find them when I wanted to pass the link on?

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
            Have a look here for links to various relationship charts http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ees-of-Kinship - including the one Trevor has posted above

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
              I think that the reference section of the forum needs these listed more clearly, such as in the research tools section, as I could not find them when I wanted to pass the link on?
              A search for kinship or relationships in Articles will produce the pages:

They are deliberately linked from the Getting Started pages.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
              X