1911 census transcription puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census transcription puzzle

Anyone got any time to look at this 1911 census please?

Henry Swann born c1862 Ampthill, Bedfordshire, living in Tottenham
    Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

The image only gives initials for the children but the transcription gives them names. How do the transcribers know the names? The reason I am asking is because I'm pretty sure two of them are wrong Annie should be Agnes and I think Charles should be Clarence. Have I missed something???

I don't need them researching just looking for an opinion please. (The transcription is the same on FMP too!)

Anne

If you zoom in on it Anne the first names have been added on the sheet in very small writing to what were originally initials.

Comment

On the image the full names have been added in later - presumably by the enumerator and are:-
      Cissie wife
      Florence G daughter
      Annie M daughter
      Charles A son

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-07-15, 15:33.

Comment

Oooops .... must go to Specsavers! Sorry!

However I think the enumerator was guessing because the 19 year old is definitely Agnes Marcella and not Annie, which calls into question the accuracy of "Charles" who I THINK might be Clarence but not proven.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me!

Anne

Comment

I have seen this before - I have a census where the children, only 2 in this case, were just listed by initials. I would never have found the census myself but someone found it for me! I can only assume the transcriber was unable to be sure what the names were.
          There is another census I have seen which is for someone who joined the RMLI with others - they are ALL listed by initials. Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            Oooops .... must go to Specsavers! Sorry!

However I think the enumerator was guessing because the 19 year old is definitely Agnes Marcella and not Annie, which calls into question the accuracy of "Charles" who I THINK might be Clarence but not proven.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me!

Anne
            Perhaps it says Aggie? It is very feint and squashed between the initials.

Margaret

Comment

It could be Aggie with the tails of the two g's missing. At least the initials are correct.

David

Comment

I believe 1911 was the first time householders filled in the form for themselves and I have several instances of the enumerator (or someone else acting as "checker") amending/adding details. The form for one of my illiterate ag labs has all the details crossed through and a completely new set of entries made underneath. (One of the reasons I love the 1911 - warts and all, so revealing about the head of household, or grandchild who filled it in!)
                So, the accuracy of the entries may have depended on the knowledge of whoever added the amendments - family member who would know the full names, or neighbour, employer, enumerator who had to ask and misheard/misunderstood pet forenames.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

In this case it looks as though the father filled in the names as initials then the enumerator (or someone else did the names. They are in a different hand. I wondered if the enumerators were instructed to make sue all householders filled in the names in full and so (thinking no one would ever know) he/she chose the most common names with the first initial! Just a thought!
                  If anyone is interested in trying .... we can't find the other offspring of the family (5 born, 1 died, 3 on this census). His name was Henry George Swann born c1888 in Tottenham or the London area.
                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    If anyone is interested in trying .... we can't find the other offspring of the family (5 born, 1 died, 3 on this census). His name was Henry George Swann born c1888 in Tottenham or the London area.
                    Anne
                    When you say you can't 'find' Henry George Anne, do you mean his birth, or on a particular census?
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

How about this one

Henry George Swann
                      Registration Year: 1888
                      Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
                      Registration district: Greenwich
                      Inferred County: London
                      Volume: 1d
                      Page: 1005

Comment

There's a tree on ancestry http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/324...on/18265040157 with a photo of Henry George Swann giving birth as Peckham. They have attached a BMD record for Camberwell with the date fo 1890 and a census record for 1891 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8912 which is not the right Henry George!

Here's the death record for him

Henry C Swann
                        [Henry G Swann]
                        Birth Date: abt 1888
                        Date of Registration: Dec 1918
                        Age at Death: 30
                        Registration district: Edmonton
                        Inferred County: Middlesex
                        Volume: 3a
                        Page: 1171

Comment

Here's the birth for Clarence A Swann

Clarence Aubrey Swann
                          Registration Year: 1901
                          Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
                          Volume: 3a
                          Page: 396

and a marriage in the name of Charles A Swann

Charles A Swann
                          Spouse Surname: Alice M Swann
                          Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1923
                          Volume Number: 3a
                          Page Number: 1395

Comment

Sorry! I just meant I can't find him on the 1911 census. Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Oooops!
                            Yes Henry Gearge did die in 1918.
                            Anne
                            Edit to say: I'm away from home so patchy reception.
                            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 19-07-15, 12:32.

Comment

Working...
                            X