porter/jacob marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• porter/jacob marriage

if anybody has a bit of spare time and would like to delve into some research, I am looking for a marriage of a male porter and a female Jacob. The female Jacob is a daughter of the Jacob empire, biscuits etc. This isn't my direct line so never really traced the details but as I have a couple of family reunions coming up I thought it would be a good idea to get the names and dates and facts if the story is true!!
    My dads cousin told me this story a long while ago.
    Phyllis nee Porter is daughter of Lucy nee Freed, I think her father was Albert Porter, she had a brother called albert so not sure if that is her fathers name as well, born approx. 1925 Kent, Swanscombe area.

Her grandmother on her porter side used to do a tontine or Christmas club and when it came to the time for her to draw out the money and pay out to her friends and relations she was to poorly to collect it herself so sent her son to get it but he never came back!!! He was listed as the blacksheep of the family until she then became so ill she was in hospital, not sure of the time span inbetween these 2 events. She wanted to see her son before she passed away so they put an ad in the paper for him to get in touch, so he must have got in touch as the story goes that he took the money and went to London and married the daughter of the Jacob family. The family joke then became he took the money and went crackers!!!
    I would like to find out how true this is as I could pass on the story with a few of the dates and names.
    I don't subscribe to any sites at the moment so cant really delve into it much myself but curiousity killed the cat and all that!!!!;D

It's not very clear who exactly you are looking for.
    Can you say the full name of the male Porter and female Jacobs?
    Who is Phyllis nee Porter?
    Margaret

Comment

For starters
      Marriage Lucy Freed to Albert M Porter 1929 Dartford Kent.
      Moggie

Comment

Births

Albert E Porter
        Mother's Maiden Surname: Freed
        Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1930
        Registration district: Dartford
        Inferred County: Kent
        Volume Number: 2a
        Page Number: 1127

Mother's Maiden Surname: Freed
        Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1932
        Registration district: Medway
        Inferred County: Surrey, Kent
        Volume Number: 2a
        Page Number: 1397

Sorry Margaret but have had to remove one name as she and her husband were still showing on .192 in 2003 and no death found. I'm pretty sure I found the death of the other though.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-07-15, 08:36.

Comment

No marriage record in England and Wales for Phyllis P Porter to anyone 1958+/-10 years.

Can't see a marriage for Albert E either 1956 +/- 10 years

Margaret

Comment

I don't know the names of the Porter/Jacob who married as ....... never told me that. It would be ........... uncle that was the one that married the Jacob daughter..It was he paternal grandmother who was doing the Christmas club!!! ........is related to me on her maternal side.
            Sorry Gloryer, same as above from Margaret. It isn't really relevant to your search anyway is it? So not too much of a problem.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-07-15, 08:38.

Comment

its not ......... marriage I was looking for. She married a ........... is my memory is correct.

As above.
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-07-15, 08:39.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                I don't know the names of the Porter/Jacob who married as Phyllis never told me that. It would be Phyllis's uncle that was the one that married the Jacob daughter..It was he paternal grandmother who was doing the Christmas club!!! Phyllis is related to me on her maternal side.
                Right. We have a 1911 census by Chrissie at post #4 which looks to be Phyllis's father Albert M Porter's family - his name is Albert Mark Porter and he has 4 brothers.

Philip John b1898
                William MacDonald b1900
                Edward Sam b1902
                Leonard Rea b1909

There's a tree on ancestry http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/985...id=-1234074268 with them in plus another son

Ronald Leslie 1916 - 1923

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-07-15, 08:15.

Comment

Can't see any marriages for these men but perhaps a check of freebmd http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl will turn something up.
                  Margaret

Comment

I checked yesterday all the sons names from 1911 family POSSIBLE census for a marriage but couldn't find one. I have now tried the other son from the Ancestry tree but still no sign I'm afraid. I tried with Jacobs as well as Jacob too just in case.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

ok thank you for having a go for me.

Comment

I've checked freebmd for 1916-1936 Porter/Jacob(s) marriages and none coming up - one of those family anecdotes that will have some basis in truth but has been embroidered!
                        Margaret

Comment

That tree on Ancestry appear to have just taken transcriptions on 191 as gospel for some of them anyway. Their William Victor Porter I believe was actually William Hector M Porter, looking at the actually registration page.
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-07-15, 10:35.

Comment

If they married against the families' wishes might they have gone to Scotland???
                            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                              If they married against the families' wishes might they have gone to Scotland???
                              Anne
                              I got the impression the family didn't know about the marriage until years after the evnt when the mother of the groom was ill and dying.
                              Margaret

Comment

does it say who the tree belongs to on ancestry please?

Comment

It's a kkmm127 Gloryer. They logged on yesterday.

Comment

thanks, not a clue who they are lol, was wondering if it was a 2nd cousin of mine, not sure which ones are going to be at the family reunion and if I will get a chance to ask a few questions. Whenever I have sent letters asking for family info its gone unanswered.

Comment

Working...
                                    X