can't find grandparents marriage: Ireland 1930s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't find grandparents marriage: Ireland 1930s

I know Irish history is harder to research, so I hope someone can help with directing me.

My grandparents were: Susan Devlin (b 1908 Dublin, d 1953 Hillingdon). I have found her on the 1911 Dublin census, and her family in 1901. Her mother was also called Susan.
    And: James Joseph Dempsey (b 1903, d 1981 Hillingdon). I haven't found him on the census, although he was definitely Irish, and my mum thought he always lived in Dublin. His mother name was Elizabeth.

My grandparents were both staunch Catholic, and got married in church in Dublin, around 1930-31.
    They had a daughter, named Elizabeth in 1933 (now deceased). Prior to this they had a daughter named Susan who only lived three weeks, so I'm using this information to estimate the time of marriage.
    They went on to have 6 more children (all born in the Rathmines area of Dublin, some still living), before moving to Wales around 1946, then onto England in 1947.

My grandad was in the British army as a young man, and rejoined during world war 2. I would also appreciate any information on how to obtain his military records.

Thank you in advance
    Denise

Marriage was in Dublin South Apr-Jun 1931 (index is on Familysearch and Ancestry) - you can order an uncertified copy of the entry for 4 euros via the Ireland GRO

Army records after 1922 are still held by the MoD, cost £30 and can take a while to arrive ...details:

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Date of marriage was 6 April 1931:

This could be him in the 1911 Irish census 30 Grenville Street, Mountjoy, Dublin - with widowed mother Elizabeth and a couple of sisters:

Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you for such quick responses, the marriage is definitely them, and I shall order the certificate. I'm a bit puzzled that the record only shows under civil marriages and not church?? My grandad was adamant about church weddings for all his children, but I will wait and see the information on the certificate. It will also be interesting to see who the witnesses were.

Regarding the census, I know my grandad definitely had brothers as well as sisters, I will have to check with my mum what their names were, and if they were all from the same marriage.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by darannon View Post
          T I'm a bit puzzled that the record only shows under civil marriages and not church??
          Copies of all the RC church marriages would get entered into the civil registers, with the original being in the church register.

Where are you searching for church records ?
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I'm having a good look round on the Irish genealogy site, if the census record is her then there are two possible deaths for Elizabeth, but no suitable marriage yet. I spoke to my mum, she tells me that Elizabeth's maiden name was Kirby or Kirkby and she was born in the north of England?? I love the way game changing pieces of information are suddenly remembered So it is possible she married in England.
            The search continues.

Comment

Originally posted by darannon View Post
              Thank you for such quick responses, the marriage is definitely them, and I shall order the certificate. I'm a bit puzzled that the record only shows under civil marriages and not church?? My grandad was adamant about church weddings for all his children, but I will wait and see the information on the certificate. It will also be interesting to see who the witnesses were.

Regarding the census, I know my grandad definitely had brothers as well as sisters, I will have to check with my mum what their names were, and if they were all from the same marriage.

Thanks again
              The CRI records all marriages - it doesn't imply that it was a civil and not church ceremony.

Re the 1911 census I found - I didn't look all that hard and it may be that there are other possibles for him. However, re a possible brother - note the column saying that Elizabeth had 4 children of whom 3 were still living.
              Do you know what Elizabeth Dempsey's maiden name was? And what was her husbands first name?

Christine

Edit - I've just seen I've cross-posted with you and Antony saying similar stuff and you answering the question re maiden name before I'd even posted it!
              Last edited by Karamazov; 12-07-15, 19:04.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Up-date to this thread:
                I have today received a copy of my grandparent's marriage certificate, many thanks to those who helped me.
                James gives his father's name as John, a labourer. It doesn't say deceased. The address given is 7 Grenville Road, which is interesting as the potential 1911 census entry was 30 Grenville Street. I shall have to try and find an old map of Dublin to see if these places are close to each other. Witnesses were James Heiney and Patricia Brennen, so not obviously related but another avenue to search.
                It's so exciting to see this information - they married in Our Immaculate Lady of Refuge RC Church in Rathmines - I'm off to google now and see if it still exists.
                Thanks again
                Denise

Comment

Working...
                X