Taking it one step further

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking it one step further

I have been stuck for a number of years to take my direct line of Chiddicks back any further to make the link to the next generation and I'm guessing that's the point we all get to eventually.

How can you say for certain that you can connect the next generation.

My oldest direct line ancestor is a Samuel Chiddicks (numerous spelling variants) who was born appx 1761 but I have no idea where. He married Ann Beard 20 Feb 1794 in South Fambridge in Essex, he died 4th Feb 1816 again in South Fambridge. All my direct line ancestors originated from Essex, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Samuel was born there.
    They had the following children.

John Chiddicks
    1795 – 1874

Elizabeth Chiddicks
    1796 – 1797

Elizabeth Chiddicks
    1798 – 1803

Mary Chiddicks
    1798 – 1798

Samuel Chiddicks
    1800 – 1801

William Chiddicks
    1801 – 1804

Robert Chiddicks
    1804 –

James Chiddicks
    1806 – 1865

Eliza Chiddicks
    1809 –

Any thoughts on how to prove or connect where Samuel originated from would be appreciated.

Thanks
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Paul

The standard reply to your query is to search baptisms in a five-mile radius of where he died and see where that gets you. If that gets you nowhere then extend the search to a ten mile radius and so on. Use things like naming patterns, wills, monumental inscriptions etc to help you decide whether you have found the right person. Sometimes it is crystal clear that you have, other times you simply cannot decide with confidence. At this point, I make many trees in the hope that one day one of them will prove to be the correct line.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 11-07-15, 18:15. Reason: spelling

Comment

Your in luck that essex parish registers are digitised on seax. The downside is they aren't indexed, so you have to scroll through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Paul

The standard reply to your query is to search baptisms in a five-mile radius of where he died and see where that gets you. If that gets you nowhere then extend the search to a ten mile radius and so on.
        OC
        This will be invaluable.

Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice. I will endeavour to follow up on the advice offered. Certainly searching the seax indexes makes sense I did have a look sometime ago but with a bit more time available will revisit and double check my searches.
          My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Working...
          X