Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Drive and ad blocker help please

Hi there,

a few days ago Firefox shut down my flash player as it was too old/not secure/unsuported.

I downloaded an updated version and everything seemed to work well.(Adobe Flashplayer 18)

Until yesterday, when I could not take part in a survey site that I am on because I couldn't see the ads I was meant to watch! No other troubles watching (or playing) anything else.

However, I also updated a security program I have two days ago, called Spybot, and ran a scan which also disabled all my cookies and may have done something to block ads. I have no idea, as the updated product seems to be different to the original product.

I emailed the help support on the Survey site and they emailed back to a. Check I have the latest Flash Drive and b. that I have switched off all ad block soft wear.

Where do I find the ad block soft wear please?

They also suggested trying another browser - that is almost beyond me. I have used firefox for so long, I can't even locate internet explorer on my computer!

Any help would be appreciated.

To find ad blocking software in your Firefox either click the three horizontal bars at the right hand end of the address bar and choose Add-ons from the popup screen of icons or if you have a menu bar select Tools add-ons. Any adblocking software should appears under Extensions. If you check the Plugins tab you can check the version number of Flash (Shockwave Flash 18.0.0.194 I have).

I have to say that if you rely on automatic logins to forums and other things you should avoid software which automatically deletes cookies, unless it is specifically to delete "third party cookies"

If you want to try internet explorer then on windows 8 or later press the windows key and type iexplore (ie will usually be enough) on earlier version click the start button and type iexplore. In either case iexplore.exe should show up in the search results at the top and clicking it will start it up.

David

Comment

David, thank you for your reply. As it is quite late over here I'll try your suggestions tomorrow morning.

I need to go to bed to get some energy for the 5 grands visiting tomorrow.

Spybot had updated to a new program and I had no idea it was going to delete things but I'll know next time.

I'll post back here when I have tried your suggestions.

Comment

David - I now know more about my computer :D but still can't find what caused the problem. However, as the survey was timed I went on OH's computer and managed to finish it.

Will still continue to check what might be changed on my computer though, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        X