is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it just me?

I am having huge difficulties trying to get the FreeBMD marriage info to come up in the results range when I have done a search on Ancestry.

this is what I am getting

can anyone see what I am doing wrong please.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Only a guess - is it because you have specified Ann's birth year 1894?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

yes I see that Judith but I am not getting ANY freebmd marriages to come up, deaths and births yes.. going back into ancestry and searching through the FBMD marriages I find the marriage, but it is a very convoluted way of finding things! [I have always searched this way and had the info come up]
      Julie

Comment

It's because you have an exact date of birth selected ( even with a +/- option) .... GRO marrriage indexes don't have an age , so as soon as you put in that as an exact search parameter you will get no responses.
        Last edited by AntonyM; 07-07-15, 11:28.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
          It's because you have an exact date of birth selected ( even with a +/- option) .... GRO marrriage indexes don't have an age , so as soon as you put in that as an exact search parameter you will get no responses.
          oh, I guess that ancestry have moved the goalposts again then?

presumably then if I want to look for any info including a marriage I don't specify a yob?

bit backwards if you ask me
          Julie

Comment

I see what you are saying Antony, I have just tried it without a yob and got the result first hit!.. why oh why they have to fiddle about with it is beyond me! if it aint broke don't fix it!..

I will try and remember this way of searching in the future

thank you as you have saved my sanity! [explains a lot of searching and frustration I had last night!]
            Julie

Comment

I tend to use this page Julie, I find it much quicker and easier -
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Why not use FreeBMD itself? I nearly always use it for pre 1916 events in preferece to Ancestry.
                Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  I tend to use this page Julie, I find it much quicker and easier -
                  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/...eebmd/bmd.aspx
                  a lot of a faff though!

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  Why not use FreeBMD itself? I nearly always use it for pre 1916 events in preferece to Ancestry.
                  Anne
                  I do Anne if I can't get any joy on Ancestry..
                  Julie

Comment

As far as I know it has always worked that way - you can't search using an exact restriction based on age/dob for an entry that has no age data and expect to find anything . Makes sense if you think about it.

(I also use FreeBMD for pre 1916 searches most of the time).

Antony
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                      As far as I know it has always worked that way - you can't search using an exact restriction based on age/dob for an entry that has no age data and expect to find anything . Makes sense if you think about it.

(I also use FreeBMD for pre 1916 searches most of the time).

Antony
                      it must be how they have jigged about with the new 'search' function, it always used to work that when I searched for someone and that I entered their name rough DOB/POB that all kinds of info would pop up BMD's inclusive. But not now.
                      Julie

Comment

I tend to use the familysearch page as it connects to the pay per view site/sometimes a parish record IGI and the parameters are better now the other site has changed somewhat.
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                          I tend to use the familysearch page as it connects to the pay per view site/sometimes a parish record IGI and the parameters are better now the other site has changed somewhat.
                          'ello you hope you are well? I have been tying myself up in Whitwick again [Lydalls] I really need to get my head around this lot, the cluster of varying Lydalls in WW are all connected I think, just need to focus and try and sort them out.
                          Julie

Comment

All good here, starting a thread then?

I have just found my first Gertrude Wills record so feeling lucky!
                            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                              All good here, starting a thread then?

I have just found my first Gertrude Wills record so feeling lucky!
                              ooh

yea I'll give it a go.. not sure how well i'll go though! [was sidetracked looking at records!]
                              Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X