£25 for a death certificate ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £25 for a death certificate ?

I have a lady who died in Dorset in 1856 but on the GRO index on Freebmd the page no is illegible, so I thought I would order it from the local Registrar in Weymouth. As I know that she was buried on the 24th of Sept I figured that they wouldn't have to search very far.
    I then discovered that the charge for the standard service is £25 which I thought was somewhat excessive !

Do all local offices charge this much?

Jan

if I were you I'd put the name on here and am sure somebody would find the details you need without paying them for a search.

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
      I have a lady who died in Dorset in 1856 but on the GRO index on Freebmd the page no is illegible, so I thought I would order it from the local Registrar in Weymouth. As I know that she was buried on the 24th of Sept I figured that they wouldn't have to search very far.
      I then discovered that the charge for the standard service is £25 which I thought was somewhat excessive !

Do all local offices charge this much?

Jan
      Normally Register Offices charge roughly the same as GRO why not ring them and ask? I sent an email to a register office recently saying what I knew about a death and asking them to confirm they had an entry in the register so that I could apply - they did and I only paid £10.

Margaret

Comment

Val
        I have the details of her burial but I wanted to get the cert.

Margaret
        I tried phoning them but you only get an answerphone .I've left my email address so I'll see if I get a reply.

Jan

Comment

thats what I meant the death so you can get the right details to order the cert at the usual price.

Comment

I have a lady who died in Dorset in 1856 but on the GRO index on Freebmd the page no is illegible,
            Have you looked at the actual image to see if you can decipher it?
            You sometimes find images are clearer on other sites, e.g. Ancestry or FMP so worth checking there. If you don't have a sub pop the details here and I am sure somewhere will take a look for you.
            Elaine

Comment

Val
              I have the details of her burial but I wanted to get the cert.

Margaret
              I tried phoning them but you only get an answerphone .I've left my email address so I'll see if I get a reply.

Jan
              Can you email them? Let us have the name etc and we'll have a look elsewhere and maybe get the details for you.

Margaret

Comment

The standard GRO fee table sets the fee for a certificate from a closed register as £10, and Dorset's own registration service website confirms that - they can add postage charges or an additional amount for an express service ( in Dorset £10 + vat) . Sounds as though someone got their wires crossed.
                Last edited by AntonyM; 06-07-15, 12:45.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

According to Free BMD the certificates are held at the Dorset Office and from this link it would seem that you only need the date and place of death and the full name of the deceased. The cost is £10 -
                  Dorsetforyou.com has been replaced with dorsetcouncil.gov.uk you can find all our information on this website

p.s. Quite a few of the reference numbers from that far back are almost totally illegible.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-07-15, 12:44.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the replies ladies.
                    The lady is Ann Lovell .On Freebmd her death registration is Sept 1856 District Weymouth Vol no 5a Page no 1_8.
                    I looked at the image but I can't decipher it.

Jan

Comment

The page number is 188 , but it is also worth noting that the GRO index reference is not relevant (or needed) when ordering from a local office......
                      Last edited by AntonyM; 06-07-15, 12:47.
                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Much clearer on FMP - Weymouth 5a 188
                        Elaine

Comment

Ancestry have it transcribed as 188 but I can't see it very clearly to see if that's right.

Definitely 188 on FMP.
                          Margaret

Comment

Many thanks for all your help.
                            I have now managed to order it through the dorsetforyou site, but how strange that the office in Weymouth ( where I got a cert in person some years ago) is charging so much.

Jan

Comment

It sounds to me like you are paying for a search as well as the fee for the cert.

Edna

Comment

thats what I thought too Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                  It sounds to me like you are paying for a search as well as the fee for the cert.

Edna
                                  When I ordered one from an RO with a search the charge was the same £10!
                                  Margaret

Comment

I don't know Ladies, but the form on their website looked fairly standard.

Jan

Comment

Did the website name start UKdocuments? if so I think you have found a commercial site pretending to be the official one.
                                      Last edited by JudithM; 06-07-15, 18:55. Reason: Mistake with site title
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

lucky JLB came on here first and asked then Judith, there are a lot of dodgy sites around,

Comment

Working...
                                        X