The Genealogist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Genealogist

For anyone who wants to have a look at what The Genealogist website might have to offer, there is a FREE 3 month trial available using a code published in the August edition of the Who Do You Think You Are magazine.
    Access = Gold subscription
    Elaine

You can also download the magazine from Google Play Store or iTunes. Make sure it's the August edition though, it has only just come out.
    Elaine

Comment

I wonder what others think about it? I had a sub for a year and was very disappointed to find nothing else that I hadn't already found on FMP and Ancestry. That could just be that my family are not represented in the collections The Genealogist holds.
      Anne

Comment

Have to admit I've never heard many glowing reports about it, but thought for a fiver I would give it go!
        Elaine

Comment

Be interested to see if you have more luck Elaine.
          Anne

Comment

There's quite lot of stuff on there that isn't in the big two which if your family is covered is great. Mine wasn't unfortunately. This thing I really couldn't get on with is their search setup. It's clunky and not very user friendly. Glad I only had a short free trial.

Comment

The major problem as far as I am concerned with the site, is that you cannot do a free search to even find out if there is likely to be anything you want.It is an expensive site to sign up to just on the offchance that there might be something relevant.

About 3 years ago I went to a WDYTYA show at Olympia.The stands for Ancestry and FMP were mobbed and I finally found the one for The Genealogist which was a black tent,- I thought maybe I was going to get my palm read! When I went in there only a couple of people there so I spoke to the lady in charge and asked her if they were considering offering a free search facility as on the other main sites and basically the answer was no .

Comment

Talking about other sites, are any of you on GENI? I googled a name of someone who has a tree on Ancestry, with some of my family on it and I'd love to contact her and the same name comes up on GENI. She's not been active on Ancestry for over a year and I wondered if she's active on a new site. (if indeed it's the same person)

Comment

The Genealogist had non-conformist records online long before Ancestry, as well as some wills (PCC?). It was a gold mine for me. But those are now on Ancestry, and I haven't needed TG.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                    The Genealogist had non-conformist records online long before Ancestry, as well as some wills (PCC?). It was a gold mine for me. But those are now on Ancestry ....
                    That's why I had it originally and I've only kept it going this year for the tithe maps. I do dislike their search, which can't seem to cope with surname variants on the wills.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Last year, I took up their one-off free two week trial, particularly to access the WO Casualty Lists (WW1, searchable).

This was the only way I identified which of two soldiers of the same name was the one I was looking for. I knew he had been wounded, and the list gave Regiment, No. and area of London from which he came. I had spent some hours looking through lists published in local newspapers at the Local History Centre, without success.

I checked the other data sets available, but they were either not relevant to my family, or available on Ancestry, so cancelled after the trial.

Carol

Comment

Had a look at it using the free trial but not impressed, and a lot of the records are only available on the diamond level but I am not going to pay for that. Can't seem to find the cancel button - do I have to wait till the 3 months is up to cancel?
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

No Linda, that's another annoyance. You have to email them to ask them to cancel it. I was cross about that and searched for ages for a cancel link but there isn't one. To be fair they replied straight away saying they were sorry I wasn't staying.
                          Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, will keep it for a little while as I have until October, and check to see if anything is useful, but will e-mail them before the due date.
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                            X