1899 costume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1899 costume

Found this of my gr. gr grandmother, great grandparents and grandfather with his siblings. Taken 1899.

Thank you for this photo -what really amazed me is the detailed needlework on the womens and childrens clothes--the smocking is beautiful and must have taken so many hours to complete on the small childs dress ,a very talented seamstress amongst this group perhaps ?

Comment

Here's another of the same family plus their youngest son who was born 1900 and minus g g granny. It was taken in 1910

Comment

In stark contrast, this is a photograph taken around the same time of my great grandmother's (the woman in the photo above) sister. Her husband worked on the railway and they lived in a corrugated iron bungalow. Life was obviously much harder on them.

Last edited by wr.; 18-07-15, 22:39.

Comment

Great photos. Very different lifestyle. Wonder if the saw each other much.

Tora

Comment

The women's hair in the second photo takes some beating, I love the old photos they have so much character.
            Last edited by Guest; 19-07-15, 22:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Tora View Post
              Great photos. Very different lifestyle. Wonder if the saw each other much.

Tora
              They lived about 40 miles from each other, but here's a pic of my grandfather (who you see standing on the left in the second photo) on a visit to see his aunt in Cray, Breconshire. They both look a few years younger here.

Comment

Working...
              X