Building a family tree back to front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a family tree back to front

Traditionally, and understandably, the normal way of building a family tree is to start with recent records and work backwards in time. However with an unusually surname such as mine, Tackaberry, it is possible to look at older records and work forward in time. With a lot of luck, it may be possible to bridge some of the gaps and find new links.

Now most of my ancestry is Irish and for some time I had been hitting the historical brick wall and not been able to progress the Irish roots back beyond about 1850 or so. However, there does appear to be indications that the name Tackaberry, and the oh so many variants in spelling, existed in Cornwall in the 16th and 17th Century. And curiously a lot of records are for the parish of Pillaton, which is not so far from where I now live.

So for something new to do I am trying to build a tree from theses records and see how far forward I can get. I don't expect great results but is does all add to the understanding of the very extented family tree for a quite unusual surname. Having said it was unusual, I am surprised by how many people on Ancestry have already done this research and built the very tree I am looking to build. However, I am frustrated by the lack of sources that are provided in these trees. I understand that not everyone wishs to publish their sources but all the trees seem to have published the same sources (Ancestry, FMP, FamilySearch etc). Where there are missing sources, they all have the same missing sources yet all have the same links between person A and person B without providing the evidence for the link

For instance Nicholas Tacbery (1610? -1658?) is consistantly shown as the son of Edward Taggaber (1580/81 - ?) and Elizabeth Richman, who married in Pillaton 16 Jan 1610. I can find no evidence for the birth of Nicholas or for the link to Edward and Elizabeth and without any reliable source I will not build that link into my tree, just because everybody has it in their trees.

So am I missing something? Is there information out there to prove this link? Are there other sources I need to be looking at?

This is just one of dozens of example in these trees. I'm not going to be asking for help with them all but would perhaps like help in understanding what, if anything, I am missing and how to prove these links, if at all possible.

Many thanks in advance

Dermot J Tackaberry (Taggaber, Tackbery, Takcabury etc etc etc etc)
    Last edited by dermotdjt; 05-07-15, 11:17.

If the family were from Pillaton you should be able to find them through the parish registers as they begin in 1557:

The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1557 - 1840, Burials 1557 - 1812, Marriages 1557 - 1979, Boyd's Marriage Index 1557 - 1812

However, they might have come from another parish.

Have you looked for wills using the CROCAT website? I found some but they didn't look much help.

This is the only early one I could find:

Ref No AP/T/69
    Title Will of Roger Taccabur of St Ives
    Date 1605
    Format Manuscript
    Extent 1 piece

The National Archives have this:

Reference: C 2/ChasI/D7/5
    Description: Short title: Denbowe v Tackaburie.
    Plaintiff: Denbowe.
    Defendant: Tackaburie.
    Document type: Bill only
    Date: 1625-1660
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Legal status: Public Record
    Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

No county is indicated, so who knows how relevant it is!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by dermotdjt View Post

without any reliable source I will not build that link into my tree, just because everybody has it in their trees.

So am I missing something? Is there information out there to prove this link? Are there other sources I need to be looking at?
      You are approaching this in exactly the right way - it is possible that all the other trees are just copying each other ( Ancestry, FMP, FamilySearch can never be valid as a source - that has to be an original document or record).

You need to start with a definite known fact you have, I would suggest a marriage you have seen a documented primary source for, and work from there.

Going forwards is always so much more difficult, but at least you have a fairly unusual name and a specific location to work on. So once you have a starting point , look at the parish registers of those places from then forwards and gather all the entries that have the name you are looking for. Once you have all the names start putting them together by working out how the different family groups fit together - there are some useful books around on family reconstitution techniques which will explain how to do this. You may also want to look at/join the Guild of One Name Studies ( http://one-name.org/ ) which will have lots of advice on what you are trying to do.
      Last edited by AntonyM; 05-07-15, 12:26.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

My advice would be to 'collect' every reference to the names and variant's you can possibly find. I wouldn't start building trees until I had as many as I could find. I would use trees on Ancestry as 'hints' about possible connections but stick to your guns remembering there is a huge amount of rubbish on there. Just because there are a lot of trees saying the same things does not make them correct!! LOL They are all copied from each other.
        I have nearly completed a very rare one name study ion a similar way. I will soon be putting it on Ancestry, privately, to see how it looks but I am suspecting my own Source records may not be accepted by Ancestry .... that may be the reason you cannot see them on some of the trees you look at? Not sure until I do it!
        Anne

Edit to say .... Snap! Antony you posted while I was typing
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 05-07-15, 12:32.

Comment

If you are interested in the Cornish branch of this family use Cornwall OPC to gather together as much information as you can. For example, I searched for burials with "Tac" in the name. I'm hoping the link will show the results:

Cornwall OPC haven't transcribed all the records, but they are being added to all the time.
          As you have probably discovered, FMP has a lot of Cornish records, and they are useful to use.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Two more name variants for you from Cornwall OPC Protestation Returns-

Taccabur and Tackabird
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Aha! Searching for names that includer "Tag":

1572 Pillaton John TAGGABER John
              1577 Pillaton Pascho TAGGABER John
              1580 Pillaton Edward TAGGABER John
              1584 Pillaton Elizabeth TAGGABER John
              1589 Pillaton Catheren TAGGABER John
              1604 Pillaton John TAGGABER John, the younger
              1605 Mellion, St. Jonas TAGGABER Johanus
              1608 Pillaton Margaret TAGGABER John, the younger
              1611 Pillaton Willm. TAGGABER John, the younger
              1615 Pillaton Ede TAGGABER John, the younger

No Nicholas, though.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Nicholas married Grace Sleepe in 1626 so likely to have been born c. 1600. Edward married in 1610.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                  You are approaching this in exactly the right way - it is possible that all the other trees are just copying each other ( Ancestry, FMP, FamilySearch can never be valid as a source - that has to be an original document or record).

You need to start with a definite known fact you have, I would suggest a marriage you have seen a documented primary source for, and work from there.

Going forwards is always so much more difficult, but at least you have a fairly unusual name and a specific location to work on. So once you have a starting point , look at the parish registers of those places from then forwards and gather all the entries that have the name you are looking for. Once you have all the names start putting them together by working out how the different family groups fit together - there are some useful books around on family reconstitution techniques which will explain how to do this. You may also want to look at/join the Guild of One Name Studies ( http://one-name.org/ ) which will have lots of advice on what you are trying to do.
                  The other less restrictive group to join for a One Name study (which is what you are doing!) is The Surname Society http://surname-society.org/ . They have tons of help and regular 'hang-outs' on google+ covering all kinds of topics to assist with studies.
                  Margaret
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-07-15, 06:55.

Comment

Did you know Parish register images for Cornwall including Pillaton are available at Family Search ?

Comment

Thanks Vivian, I've been trying to refind that link for a while. However, the images are only start in the 1800's by which time I belive the Tackaberry line had died out in Cornwall.

Comment

Working...
                      X