sarah melville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarah melville

Could anyone help with finding an incoming UK immigration for a Sarah Melville .She was born in the Falkland Islands in 1861. I don`t think her parents accompanied her as they died on the Island .She married William Armstrong ,born Westerkirk,Dumfrieshire , can`t find a marriage record either ! She died in 1931 Middlebie ,Dumfrieshire .
    Thanks
    Julip

The marriage entry is in the British Overseas collection on Findmypast

WILLIAM ARMSTRONG / SARAH MELVILLE
    Married in 1880 in Port Stanley Christ Church, F.I. (actual date not given on transcription)
    -
    William - age not given (occ. sub overseer)
    William's father - John Armstrong (occ shepherd)

Sarah - age 20
    Sarah's father - Charles Melville, (occ Harbour Master)

Record set British Overseas Marriages
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine .
      Thank you for this . I hadn`t realised that William was actually in the Falklands. No wonder I couldn`t find him in Scotland . I thought that Sarah had come over to Scotland ,although I did wonder why she would come on her own ,and to this particular area . Now I know she was married that solves that particular problem . Now I have to find out why William went to the Falklands ! If anyone connected to the family in the Falklands has any info.on this would appreciate any help . There is a bit of a puzzle about Sarah`s parentage , you have just confirmed her father`s name , great !!
      Much obliged Elaine .
      Last edited by julip; 02-07-15, 22:44.

Comment

Perhaps the clue is in the occupation of William's father and they went there as a family.. From time to time there were recruitment campaigns by landowners to drum up new members for their workforce Sheep farming and the Falkland Isles has always had a strong connection. Also remember the islands were a British Crown Colony at that time, so there could have been other jobs on offer and William decided to try his luck.

I think we don't realise just how far some people travelled in Victorian times. I have a Norfolk lad who joined the army ( agricultural depression in Norfolk) and married in the Falklands (the wife had been born in India, father a soldier.) The first child was born in the Falklands and then they returned to Norfolk. A few years later the family took off again, to Patagonia in southern Chile, in response to newspaper adverts for farm managers on land owned by Brits. Lots of Scots in the Patagonia area (some children of my Norfolk soldier married Scots) as well as the Falklands. There are descendants there today.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 02-07-15, 23:20.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry, my Norfolk lad in the above post was a mariner - it was his brother who joined the army. (It is late and he's only a twig!)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay ,
            I think he probably went on his own as I have his parents and siblings on census in Scotland . I have him on 1871 .and then he disappears . That is interesting about the reason for going , he was a shepherd in Scotland. I am wndering now if any of the children were born on the Island, I found half of them ,but not the other half , that could be the reason why .Know the feeling , I am getting crosseyed trying to find passenger lists etc .
            Cheers
            Julip

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Jay,
              I have just found the family on 1906 passenger list , out of the Falkland Islands to Liverpool . William ,Sarah, and 8 children !. The penny dropped when I realised I should have looked under Armstrong , and not just for Sarah under her own name , as on the marriage record . You are right Jay , I always think what courage it must have taken to go thousands of miles from your homeland ,not knowing what you would find .Not sure I could have done it
              Thanks
              Julip

Comment

Working...
              X