New irish records coming online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New irish records coming online?

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that there would be new Irish records coming online either this month or next month. However I cannot now find the source of this idea.

Anybody know anything about it?

Dermot

I think it's Irish Catholic parish registers due 8thJuly from the National Library of Ireland. They are to be browsable but not indexed. Access will be free.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 01-07-15, 22:16.

Comment

RootsIreland often brings new records (transcriptions) online. I thought they had announced something else, but these were their may additions:

Comment

Yes as has been said, the microfilm copies of RC parish records held in the National Library in Dublin should be on-line on the NLI site (free) from 8th July. Note that they don't have every possible RC record. Most of their transcripts only go up to the 1880s or sometimes 1900. So for records after that you need to contact the parish. And there are some RC parishes whose records have never been copied for one reason or another. (The only copies being held by the parish priest). But it's a big step forward all the same.

Be aware that some are very hard to read, and many early records are in Latin.
        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Ah, yes that would be them. thanks for the reminder

Comment

Catholic Parish Records now available to search at http://registers.nli.ie/about

Enter parish into search box at top of page to browse images
            Last edited by Macbev; 08-07-15, 14:37.

Beverley

Comment

Wonderful!!! I may have already found the marriage we have wanted for years in Drogheda, St Peter.

Can anyone explain the names I see on baptisms, please? For example:
              "19 Feb 1820 Bapt. Anne Rogan daughter to John and Cath. Armstrong SS. Peter McGinnis and Mary Murphy"

I'm guessing SS is for Sponsors but I'm confused by the child's name which always seems to have a surname type name (Rogan in this example) which is not the same as the parent's surname. They all seem to be like this. Can anyone explain?

Anne

Comment

They probably used the format that the father's surname was not required as it was obvious what it was. So for your example assume the father's name to be John Rogan whose wife was called Cath(erine) and her maiden surname was Armstrong. Try looking for a marriage between John Rogan and Catherine Armstrong to check if the theory is correct.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 08-07-15, 18:47.

Comment

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. Later some baptisms do appear in the form Anne d of John Rogan and Cath Armstrong. These are NOT my family just an example I pulled from the image.
                  Anne

Comment

Have also just been alerted to the Irish Records - E-mail from husband's cousin in Ireland - what she actually said was that they were Catholic Records for all Ireland - these, of course, have always been difficult to come by unless the archives could be searched.
                    I am delighted but from my contact's instructions I have no idea how to get into them ................ will have a browse! Sue:D

Sorry Glen - this shouldn't have gone on here

Where should it be Sue?
                    I assume here? Is that right?
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-07-15, 11:33.

Comment

Well thank you for the confirmation that matched the email I recieved.

I have used it to find Patrick Lennan of Anthony Lennan & Mary Callaghan but when I've found his sister 3 years later the description is rather different. It has Mary Lennan of Anthony Lennan & Mary Callaghan but then her name is under that as another entry but it's just a name, no parents. Has anyone else come across something similar? Although it's amazing just how many Lennan's I have found on those pages.
                      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Wonderful facility, but I've had no luck as yet trying to locate 2 marriages 1852 - 1860 :(

Have no idea of the parish (in England census 1861+ they either give Ireland or Galway as pob) so am gradually working my way through Galway parishes. Some of the writing is appalling and hasn't stood up to filming and some other parishes do not have marriage coverage for the years I want. I've been trying to find this info for nearly 30 years, so shall NOT be giving up lightly! I do hope I don't have to try all other counties

I'm surprised by the lack of detail, compared with all the information I found for the baptisms of the children of these two couples in Northumberland RC PR.

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-07-15, 19:07.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Luckily my Irish family left one small hint in 1871 that they were from Drogheda. I agree some of the writing is terrible and the 'terribleness' seems to go in phases which made me think of the old priest in Father Ted! LOL
                          Also quite surprised to find them in English. RC records I have seen in England are usually in Latin, although fairly easily understood (unless there is a margin note!)
                          Anne
                          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 09-07-15, 21:49.

Comment

Although it is odd because I can barely find the Tubridy Records for the areas of County Clare that I know and yet searching the Upper Greggan area of Armagh brings up thousands of Lennan's, the majority of whom were Anthony's.
                            Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                              They probably used the format that the father's surname was not required as it was obvious what it was. So for your example assume the father's name to be John Rogan whose wife was called Cath(erine) and her maiden surname was Armstrong. Try looking for a marriage between John Rogan and Catherine Armstrong to check if the theory is correct.
                              Yes, that is the format of the Irish parish records. SS will be Sponsors. Sometimes there will only be one sponsor, male or female.

Do remember that not all the parish records were sent to the NL, so you could still be in for some missing ones. When I searched the NL in Dublin, I could not find any records for Kilworth, but writing to the parish priest produced a marriage I had been looking for, but unable to search myself, I still cannot go back another generation without another letter to the PP!

Janet
                              Last edited by Janet; 10-07-15, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                Luckily my Irish family left one small hint in 1871 that they were from Drogheda. I agree some of the writing is terrible and the 'terribleness' seems to go in phases which made me think of the old priest in Father Ted! LOL
                                Also quite surprised to find them in English. RC records I have seen in England are usually in Latin, although fairly easily understood (unless there is a margin note!)
                                Anne
                                This varies as some parishes were eager to use the Latin more than others. I have found many County Limerick ones in Latin.

Janet

Comment

I was given a small clue that placed my Ryans in Rossmore, Tipperary...and yep - there they were, all twelve children. And joy, I have finally settled the question as to whether my grandmother was baptised 'Judith' as suggested on the passenger list and her headstone, or 'Johanna', as given on her marriage cert,the birth certs of her children and on the electoral rolls.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the marriage of their parents....suspect it may lay under the ink blotted page for 1858 :( otherwise, mostly nice clear entries by the parish priest.

My Gleesons/ Glissanes in Kerry are less easy to locate, although I know exactly when and where they should be. The writing looks like chicken scratchings, many pages are faded or blotchy and it is nearly all in Latin with incomprehensible abbreviations Like Janet, I shall not be giving up lightly.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Chrissie - that is the correct place for it. Sue

Comment

Working...
                                    X