Isle of Man, where to go next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Man, where to go next?

I am looking over a brick wall and despite trying again to find anything have failed! I have Elenor/Eleanor Callister bc 1811 and have the information that her birth was registered in 1812 by a Thomas C Callister. He also registered other births and was down as a relative, but that's as far as I can go. I can't find anything more on Elenor's parents. She died 1847, so no further help from the 1851 census.

If she was a 'foundling' or illegitimate then where was she when she was growing up?

Any pointers or help from more experienced searchers welcome

Not exactly what you're looking for but just in case you haven't seen these from Family Search

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Elenor/Eleanor Callister's birth won't have been "registered" as this was prior to civil registration. You might find a baptism for her. Are you sure she was born on the Isle of Man?

This site is useful:

I have found baptisms for various spellings of Elinor Callister, but not with the information you have. Callister is a common surname on the Isle of Man.

Elinor Callister
      17 February 1805
      Baptisms
      Malew
      Parents: Thomas Bridson & Ann Callister. (MS10430/1)

Elinor Callister
      7 August 1808
      Baptisms
      Parish German
      Parents: John Callister & Cath Quirk. (MS10974/1/3)

Ellinor Callister
      6 May 1810
      Baptisms
      Parish Lonan
      Parents: John Callister & Margaret Kelly. (MS09878/2)

Eleanor Callister
      21 June 1818
      Baptisms
      Parish Malew
      Parents: John Callister & Margt Oates. (MS10430/1)
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Here is the burial again:

Eleanor Callister
        20 March 1847
        Burials
        Parish German
        Abode Kew.
        33 yrs.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

If this is the burial is for the correct woman, she would have been born c. 1814.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

A possible from the IOM 1841 Census, note the spelling difference

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
            Last edited by luddy; 01-07-15, 18:30.

Comment

Thanks very much for your replies.

Yes that's the burial, for 1847. The baptisms are a possibility, I think, but I am so unsure of which one. As for the 1841 census it is a possibility, but she was married by then. I have details of her will but nothing in it has led me further, so far.

Comment

Ancestry has the Isle of Man, Select Parish Registers, 1598-1950, and I found the following on there

Name: Eleanor Callister
                Burial Date: 20 Mar 1847
                Burial Place: German, Isle of Man
                Burial Age: 33

and the following baptisms

Ellinor Callester Christening 26 Jul 1812 Michael, Isle of Man, parents John, Ann

Ellinor Callister Christening 06 May 1810 Lonan, Isle of Man, parents John,Margaret

Ellinor Callister Christening 26 Jul 1812 Michael, Isle of Man, parents John,Ann

Eleanor Callister Christening 21 Jun 1818 Malew, St Mark's, Isle of Man, parents John,Margt
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks very much. I am just not sure where she came from..... She is only on the 1841 census, so no help there. She is in Ballaugh which I think is correct, but on her own.

Comment

who did she marry ?

Comment

Charles Sayle. There is a memorial inscription which is as Eleanor Sayle whilst the death record is as Eleanor Callister, but it is the same person.

Comment

Here is the marriage:
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Thanks - not seen the record on that site before. Shame the father wasn't listed....

Comment

Perhaps if you check out the rest of the Callister's from the same Parish of German you may be able to figure out the Family, there is another Eleanor Callister listed in this Parish record of Marriages.
                            Hope these are of some help

Edna

Comment

Elizabeth

Thankyou so much for that website address. I lost this many years ago when my old computer died and I could never find it again. I think it has had a major revamp as I don't remember it being in that format.

IoM registers have lots of extra information in them which was not transcribed by the LDS and I was able to piece together my family of very common names by using the "extra clues" in the registers.

I have loads of Sayles but no Callisters, sorry!

OC

Comment

Yes I will do that, trace each Eleanor as it seems the only way to go. There seems to be only one bapt for German, which seems early ( 1808), but you never know. Which marriage in German was the the other one for an Eleanor?

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Elizabeth

Thankyou so much for that website address. I lost this many years ago when my old computer died and I could never find it again. I
                                  OC
                                  In case you lose the address again,you will find it on our Isle of Man page:

There may well be other useful links for reuben30 there too.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks very much for all your help and advice. I will start tracking the other Eleanor's and I will also have a look on the Manx site as well. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                    X