McBride - Portaferry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McBride - Portaferry

Researching the McBride family of Portaferry, County Down, Northern Ireland.

Particularly trying to find the birth details for Archibald McBride who married Eliza Tomelty at Downpatrick in 1855. Also any info on Rose McBride, living in High Street, Portaferry on the 1901 census but no details after that.

FOR REFERENCE

Name: Archibald Mcbride

Spouse's Name: Eliza Tomelty

Event Date: 12 Dec 1855
    Event Place: Downpatrick, Down, Ire
    Father's Name: Henry Mcbride

Spouse's Father's Name: James Tomelty
    indexing Project (Batch) Number: M70212-4
    System Origin: Ireland-VR
    GS Film number: 101365
    Reference ID: 2:3JCX43H

Citing this Record:
    "Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898,"

Comment

Name: Archibald Mcbride
      Event Type: Military Service
      Event Year Range: 1845-1854
      Event Place: United Kingdom
      Birthplace: Down
      Birth Year: 1822
      GS Film number: 1562759
      Digital Folder Number: 004650269

Citing this Record:
      "United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941,"

Comment

was Rose McBride his sister or his daugher ?
        did they emigrate ?

Comment

Hi Janet,

Thank you for the info, very useful. Rose was Archibald's Daughter born 1877, she is on the 1901 census with Eliza, Sister Sarah and Brother Samuel but by 1911 census disappears, so does Samuel. have tried GRONI / PRONI but can't find any records there. The family were Roman catholic, although Archibald was originally C of I, one of several of my ancestors who turned.

Comment

If you can’t find the family in Ireland after 1901, then the usual explanation is that they had moved to Scotland, England or further afield. Have you looked for them in the 1911 censuses in Scotland & England? Have you checked the usual emigration records for journeys further afield?
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

It's a real puzzler Elwyn, i bought a pile of vouchers for GRONI but have had no success there. I visited PRONI last year and also Downpatrick library where the ladies were extremely helpful but again no success. The records for my family are extremely sketchy, I put this down to them being exceedingly poor and uneducated, my Grandfather for instance, couldn't read or write and I would assume that many of them left school at a very young age to help with the family income. I left Ireland at age 5 and in all the years we lived in England, I never heard my Mother mention Grandparents, Aunts or Uncles, I thought nothing of it at the time but that now puzzles me. In the 1901 census, Eliza is living in High Street Portaferry widowed, with family Samuel age 40, Sarah age 33 and Rose age 24. I now that Sarah married Hugh Savage in Portaferry in 1904, and continued living in High Street. I think it unlikely that, given the age of Eliza and Samuel, that they emigrated, certainly it was never mentioned by my Mother. I will keep digging, eventually, one day, I hope to crack this one.

Sincere thanks for your interest.

Edward

Comment

I looked at the revaluation records for High St, Portaferry. I see Hugh Savage listed for plot 60 from 1907 to 1918 after which the property was recorded as vacant. Numerous other Savage households in the street.

PRONI is the official archive for Northern Ireland and holds documents covering a period from 1600 to the present day
                Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thank you Elwyn, I hope to be in Portaferry next week so will be scratching about to see what I can find.

Comment

update

Originally posted by edward graham View Post
                    Thank you Elwyn, I hope to be in Portaferry next week so will be scratching about to see what I can find.

Well that's another year gone and I'm still no further forward with my McBride research. Visited Portaferry for the Portico opening and spoke to several people... no luck, went to Ballyphillip Parish Church.... no luck, I even spoke to the regulars in Dummigans....... still no luck !!!!

This one is proving a hard nut to crack but I'll keep digging.

Comment

I wasn't sure if this was one was in the right registration area, but would this death be worth persuing

First name(s) Samuel
                      Last name McBride
                      Age at death 49
                      Birth year 1861
                      Registered year 1910
                      Registered quarter/year Jul - Sep 1910
                      Registration district Belfast
                      Volume 1
                      Page 157
                      County Antrim, Down
                      Country Ireland
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Elaine, many, many thanks, kind of you to look and much appreciated. That looks very much like my Samuel. I have been searching for ages for my Aunt Sarah McBride who I knew died aged 23 in 1925, tried and tried all over but I was assuming the death was registered either Downpatrick or Newtownards, turns out as she died in the Royal Victoria in Belfast, the death was registered there. Irish genealogy sure ain't easy !!!

Comment

Still looking for Rose, b 1877, living in High Street Portaferry on 1901 census, after that she disappears.

Comment

Working...
                          X