X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with lost half siblings

Hello to all
    im new at this so please bear with me!
    i have a half brother and sister- I think in Canada- as that is where I last found them on a ship going to Canada in 1959. At the time they were aged 16 & 15. My father Edward Thomas Guy(deceased) was also theirs. He left their mother for mine Joyce Irene Harriss (deceased).
    my father married their mother (Bella Tenanbaum) in Cairo in 1937. I eleven they came to England, her and the children at the end of the war and lived in Clapham for a time.
    i would love to find them, if they're still alive. I've not been able to get any further so some advice/ help would be wonderful.

yours in anticipation
    Pookie

Welcome to the Forum Pookie,

Do you know where the children were born? do you know where Edward was born?

Edna

Comment

There is an Edward Thomas Guy born Lambeth 1909 March Quarter 1d 387 do you think this could be him?

Do you know the name of the Ship that they went to Canada on?

Edna

Comment

Edward Thomas Guy born 1909 died in Bath March Qtr 1974 7C 754

Edna

Comment

Pookie you will be able to send members the names of the siblings you have found by Private Message once you have posted ten messages on this Forum so get posting some replies so you get help with those names.
          You will then be able to post a Private Message by clicking on the members username (mine is clematised) above my avatar the blue face that will bring up a drop down box which will give you the option to send me a private message, or any other member.

Edna

Comment

Hi Edna
            thanks for all your messages! I will answer in order
            Edward was my father and I have all his details of birth, marriage, death the whole family history.
            the two children (my half siblings from his marriage to Bella) were both born in Egypt. A girl in 1943 and a boy in 1944. I know what their names are (were assuming they are still alive).
            sadly my father died when I was only 22 and had no interest in family history at that time. My mother fed me a great deal of duff info to either throw me off track or maybe she didn't know but I don't think so. It made it very hard to get to the bottom of!
            The name of the ship they travelled on was 'The Empress of England' it sailed on the 23Oct 1959 from Liverpool to Montreal.
            thanks for info on sending private messages
            look forward to hearing from you and anyone else!
            pookie

Comment

Do you know who the children travelled with?
              There were two others with the same contract ticket number 69963 as the girl - 1) Lea Ermou(born 2 Sep 1907)housewife, 2) a boy (not surnamed Guy) born in South Africa in 1953.
              The boy's ticket number was 69964.
              All 4 passengers had the same Streatham address.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The information you have given me is also what I have seen from the passenger listing. I don't know what relationship they have to my half siblings. Looked up Lea marriages and only found one in 1952 her maiden name was Abcarius!
                Lea could be relative of mother Bella? But why is she taking a 6yr old boy with different surname to her and both to stay in Canada. Guy children to return but when?
                do you know if it's possible to find info from Canada when they landed, details must have to be given as to where they're staying etc as both under age.
                Thanks Pookie

Comment

Canadian privacy laws are pretty strong, so vital records for your people are probably not available.

That leaves newspapers (obits, marriage announcements, etc) and gravestones as possible sources. Findagrave.com has some Canadian cemetery information, as does billiongraves.com. http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/ is an index to Ontario graves. Another one is http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/

Have you googled their names?

Do you have a sub to Ancestry.com? They have some Canadian electoral rolls, some border crossing info.

What about their mother, Bella - have you located her? And did you check your own father's info - e.g., did he leave a will/probate? An obit? As you say, your mother might not have been forthcoming about details. It's not easy to skip your children in your estate distribution.

Comment

Hello PhotoFamily
                    yes, I know Canadian research is difficult. I have a long lost cousin in Canada and when I asked her she told me the same thing!
                    i have looked at Findagrave and not seen anything that could be possible, will look on the other two of your suggestions, thanks.
                    i have also googled their names with no luck. My half sister could have got married so that makes it difficult too!
                    i do have a sub for Ancestry, Findmypast and the genealogist!
                    My father did not leave a will -
                    i don't know what happened to Bella, she could have remarried, but why were her two children on a ship to Canada travelling with another person whose name doesn't mean anything to me?

i appreciate all your help, but you can see how difficult it is trying to locate them. I've even been able to locate them returning to UK!

Comment

1) Bear in mind that in 1959, both "children" were of school leaving age and that the girl could already have been in employment.
                      2) I echo what Photofamily says about Canadian privacy laws - this makes it much harder to find marriages and any subsequent children.
                      3) Do you have a copy of the document for the marriage in Egypt? Did your father serve in the forces in WW2? - in which case his service record may have additional details about his wife and children.
                      4)I think you need to try to chase up the mother's movements after her entry to the UK with her children. Is she on any electoral rolls? After the split with your father, might she have gone to SA or elsewhere abroad? Might she have remarried - possibly abroad? Did she die and leave the children in care of a relative? Perhaps you need to find details of her family & siblings and try to track them forward in the hope of finding a link with Canada?

ETA - sorry, our posts crossed! Are you saying the two returned to the UK? From your initial post, I'd assumed you were looking for them in Canada.
                      Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-06-15, 09:36.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Just seen your reply, didn't see there was a second page!! As I say I've not got my head round this site at all.
                        in answer to your questions:-
                        1) The girl is listed as 'scholar' on the passenger list. But yes you could be right.
                        3) yes I have my fathers marriage cert from Egypt and it lists Bella as a Czeckoslovakian citizen, her father was Israel Tenenbaum and he was a merchant.
                        i also have all my fathers military records, thTs how I found out I had two half siblings!!! I knew he was married before as my aunt let slip to my husband, but once she realised we knew nothing she clammed up. She also said the wife was Spanish and a catholic which was also incorrect info.
                        4) can't find arrival in UK for mother and children, but they must have returned as an address for her in the UK is on my fathers army papers. I have tried looking at electoral rolls and come up with a blank, same with marriages too.
                        She clearly lived in Egypt before marrying my father but that ones going to hard to research given the territory.

im not saying they did return to UK- I can't find them doing so but records only go up to 1960. It just says on passenger details that they will reside in England. So presume it's just a trip, who knows. I've been tearing my hair out for some years now and getting absolutely nowhere!!!

Pookie

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          Do you know who the children travelled with?
                          There were two others with the same contract ticket number 69963 as the girl - 1) Lea Ermou(born 2 Sep 1907)housewife, 2) a boy (not surnamed Guy) born in South Africa in 1953.
                          The boy's ticket number was 69964.
                          All 4 passengers had the same Streatham address.
                          The first two people appear to be crossed out, though, which usually means they didn't travel.

Comment

Hello Mary from Italy

thanks for your response - I have been told that before, but then I was told that wasn't necessarily the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Pookie View Post
                              Hello Mary from Italy

thanks for your response - I have been told that before, but then I was told that wasn't necessarily the case?
                              can you pm me the names of the children please?
                              I have used the message boards on ancestry for Canada searches and have had some success so that is worth a try.
                              Margaret

Comment

Margaret Pookie can not send you a PM until she has made 10 posts to the forum and as yet she has only 8, try sending her a PM explaining this and get her to make further posts so this can be done.

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna - I'm trying my best to get to ten post so that I can release the names of my two half siblings!
                                  although with the information I've already given about the passenger details and who else was travelling it wouldn't be too difficult to see their names.
                                  I'm new to all this and it's a fast learning curve!! I really keen to find out if they stayed in Canada as I can't find any traces of them in UK.
                                  caroline

Comment

Hi Margaret
                                    you are now my tenth post so I hope that now I'm able to give you the names of my two missing siblings once you reply back to me!
                                    i have ancestry membership- well until 28th July as I cancelled it. I have worldwide and the renewal is £179.00 which I think is a ridiculous amount and I've informed them of my opinion and I'm hoping to get a reply!
                                    look forward to hearing from you
                                    pookie

Comment

Often the cheapest way to an Ancestry sub. is to Google for last year's Family Tree Maker software (world edition) with a 6 or 12 month free Ancestry worldwide sub. You have to install the software but it's up to you whether you use it or not. I've used FTM for the last 20-odd years.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John. I have the latest update for FTM so have now used up the free months I had with it! I will probably have to bite the bullet and pay the £179 it goes against the grain!!
                                        I need to have worldwide as have many relies that live abroad,,
                                        pookie

Comment

Working...
                                        X