Irish Catholic Marriage Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Catholic Marriage Registers

am amazed to just find a marriage for somebody in my tree amongst this lot on Ancestry for years 1775-1912
    Are they recent ?

william keegan snip.jpg

following on from this could somebody please read the address and details on William Keegan and his wife thanks

Comment

Dep^ot Phroia? Park Micheal & Mary Smyth W smyth

Comment

Thanks Edna its so hard to read could you maybe read his occ and address on the certWilliam Keegan M (2).jpg

Comment

Micheal Keegan ..Batchelor
          full age
          acting serg (seargent)
          Depot, Phomis? Park
          Michael Keegan (Deceased) Signalman (signalman in the Army probably) My late Husband was a Signalman which has several branches he worked on telephone laying (lineman)

Edna

Comment

I think it is Phoenix Park - which is adjacent to Aughrim where the marriage took place, and was the site of a military barracks (Defence Forces HQ is still located at the south-east end of the park according to Google Maps).
            Last edited by Richard in Perth; 27-06-15, 04:14.

Comment

Yes I think Phoenix Park too

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

thanks very much everyone , wonder if I can get the military records ? would that be possible.

Comment

Hi Val. Its definitely Phoenix Park. As well as the military barracks, the Phoenix Park is also the location of police headquarters since the late 1830s/1840s so if your ancestor wasn't a soldier, then he could be a policeman. If he was military, it would be the British army so any surviving records would most likely be held in England. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to tell you where.

Your first screenshot shows that William Keegan's parents were Michael and Mary (nee Smyth) from Killucan, Co Westmeath (which is in the Irish midlands) and his wife's parents were John and Mary (nee Hayes) from 40 Aughrim St which is very near the Phoenix Park.
                  Cheers

Comment

Thanks very much dublincat, I am trying to find my Aunts Mothers relatives as she never knew her and knows nothing about her, this man is her Grandfathers Brother the nearest I have found so far in her family, will check out the records.

Comment

Hi Val, Have just got the Irish half of the household to have a look at your post. He absolutely agrees that it is 40 Aughrim Street (Pronounced Ocrim). The Church they married in was also in that street.
                      He was an Acting Sergeant based at the Depot in Phoenix Park - usually Army BUT probably Police as well - everything there in those days because the President of Ireland lived in Phoenix Park apparently as does the current President. Not sure whether it would have been the President on date of your document - could have been a Governor (English) hence even more security. I imagine, if it was a Governor then the records you will be looking for will be British Army Records. That is probably not the case if it was an Irish President who lived there at that time but I am told it probably wasn't.
                      Last edited by Sue1; 28-06-15, 12:18.

Comment

thanks for that Sue found this on Ancestry so looks like he was a Policeman if its him

Comment

Think this may be his birth:

William
                          Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
                          birth: 24 August 1867
                          Multifarnham, West, Ire

Christening: 328, MULTIFARNHAM, WEST, IRE

residence: 1867 Westmeath, Ireland

From Family Search: They have the RIC records on microfilm as far as I can see but also wonder whether FMP has them - the latter website is beyond me so haven't looked on there!

Sue
                          Last edited by Sue1; 28-06-15, 13:55.

Comment

Wondering about this one for Mary Anne. Father John was an ex con (I think that means constable not the other type) on mc

1901 Irish Census

John Sweeney Head aged 70 Pensioner/?? Constabulary Widower born Co Sligo
                            William John Sweeney Son aged 39 Clerk, DU Tramway Co Not married born Co Waterford

Mary Anne Margaret Keegan aged 39, Widow born Co Waterford
                            Mary Margaret Grandaughter aged 8 born Dublin City
                            William John Grandson aged 6 born Dublin City

Living Philsboro Road, Dublin

Vera

Comment

Ann, Have just found there are an awful lot of William Keegans in Westmeath!!! I also found the attached - William Keegan in Court - he is a witness but probably/almost certainly as a Officer of the Law if he is the correct WK.

Name: William Keegan
                              Event Type: Court
                              Event Date: 18 Aug 1883
                              Event Place: Westmeath, Ireland
                              County: Westmeath
                              Role of Individual: Witness
                              Court: Mullingar

Off on a week's hols tomorrow early am but will keep an eye on this today and see if I can find anything more.

Comment

oh you lovely people thanks very much Vera and Sue I had not got round to checking the census records yet, he was born in abt 1857 County Westmeath , and that is the right family Vera
                                Where did you find that court appearance Sue ?

Comment

Here she is in 1911

Maryanne Keegan living with another brother

at 33 St Peters Rd, West Side, Philsborough, Dublin

John Sweeney Head of Family aged 53, Widower, Overseer Telegraph Co Born Co Waterford
                                  John Michael Son aged 14 born Dublin
                                  Maryanne daughter born Dublin

William Joseph, Brother Single Clerk Tramway Co born Co Waterford

Maryanne Keegan Sister aged 47, Widow Born Co Waterford
                                  Maryanne aged 18 Niece born Dublin
                                  William Joseph aged 16 Nephew born Dublin

Can't see William Keegan listed on the memorial to members of the RI Constabulary as dying on duty

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 28-06-15, 15:33.

Comment

Thanks again for this Vera if I have the right death which I found attached to him on another tree he died in 1908 in Carlow, I did ask the tree owner and she only knows he married her relative had two children then died.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 28-06-15, 16:13.

Comment

I found the Court Appearance on ancestry (at least I am pretty sure I did) - I am sure there were other things about people with the same name - it seems to be very common.
                                      Will see if I can find it again on ancestry and give you the url. Sue

Disregard the above - I am completely senile today ................that info came from Family Search Org
                                      Last edited by Sue1; 28-06-15, 16:38.

Comment

Working...
                                      X