Ordering certificates in Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering certificates in Manchester

I've not used UKBMD site for a while and I've just spotted this notice on the Lancashire front page. I've highlighted the bit that concerns me. Can Manchester Archives/Registrars actually do this?

Manchester Registration District
    From 20 October 2014 registers for births, marriages and deaths registered before 1915 will be transferred the Archives at Manchester Central Library from where certificates will be issued. Further registers will be transferred each year such that registers completed more than 100 years ago will in future be held at the Archives. Registers will, however, remain closed to public view. Online orders will be automatically steered to the correct location and the correct ordering address will automatically be inserted in the postal certificate order forms generated by LancashireBMD. If you wish to place an order in person, then you are advised to check the LancashireBMD index first to establish at which centre to place your order.

Galloway Lass

Yes, they can.

You can challenge it. I wish you luck and a very long life!

For years it has only been possible to browse the registers under the eye of the local Registrar and for an hourly research fee. Last I heard, it was £40 an hour.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
      I've not used UKBMD site for a while and I've just spotted this notice on the Lancashire front page. I've highlighted the bit that concerns me. Can Manchester Archives/Registrars actually do this?

Manchester Registration District
      From 20 October 2014 registers for births, marriages and deaths registered before 1915 will be transferred the Archives at Manchester Central Library from where certificates will be issued. Further registers will be transferred each year such that registers completed more than 100 years ago will in future be held at the Archives. Registers will, however, remain closed to public view. Online orders will be automatically steered to the correct location and the correct ordering address will automatically be inserted in the postal certificate order forms generated by LancashireBMD. If you wish to place an order in person, then you are advised to check the LancashireBMD index first to establish at which centre to place your order.
      Yes they can transfer the registers to an archive or library if they wish. That library or archive then becomes a superintendent Registrar's office and the public may then go to it and search in the indexes they hold and order a certificate from those indexes.
      They cannot demand however that you use the UKBMD site to search and order your certificate unless they are claiming that UKBMD is now part of the Superintendent Registrars office whic it cannot be as it is a registered charity.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks for explaining OC and Guy.

Comment

Guy

I don't think anyone is demanding you use the UKBMD site. They are saying (the UKBMD site is saying) that you can generate an order using the Lancsbmd index, which presumably most people would want to do, otherwise why would they be reading the ordering instructions on the site?

If you don't want to generate an order form and wish to do it the hard way, then they are telling you that Lancsbmd site will tell you which office you need to trot along to. Remember that many local Registrar's offices are now appointment only.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X