Please help me find my great great grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me find my great great grandfather

I know very little about my family history. I want to find the name and details of my great great grand father on my mom's side.

Here's what I know:

The name of my great grand dad is Thomas Bloomer, he married to a Lily Taylor, in 1928. He had twin sons born in October of 1932, Ernest B and Thomas B...West Midlands area.

Hi Debra

I am aware you have had several threads on this and several other sites so I am not sure whether you have received any specific assistance on this query or whether its totally new. However, can I strongly recommend you buy the marriage record (you cite above) for your Great G'father which should give name and occupation of the man you are looking for (i.e. your Great Great G'father)?

If you need any help about how to purchase this record from the GRO (please do not go elsewhere as the cost will be considerably more) do post and we can help.

Once you have the marriage details, again let us know so we can help further
    Last edited by Bertie; 22-06-15, 13:44.

Comment

I don't want to pay for anything.

Comment

Then you are wasting your time trying to do your family history. You haven't got a chance of getting a tree correct without certificates to prove your facts. If all you want is a cobbled together tree that is hugely incorrect then that's up to you.
        Genealogy is an expensive hobby.

Comment

Regretfully, I am not able to help any further as without such information it would be pure guesswork on my part. Perhaps another member might be able to assist: the marriage was:

Q3 1928 Dudley 6b 2253

Comment

It will cost you £9.25 from GRO and should help you more, obviously, than you imagine.

Comment

The marriage can be found at the Dudley local government site

and the following is found:

Surname Forename Gender Event Year Register Entry
              BLOOMER THOMAS M 1928 D/M/DRO/061 188

Just in case someone on this site goes there and can look it up for free (if indeed that is possible).

Comment

Does it say the names of Thomas's parents?

Comment

Just to repeat my observation on the earlier threads on this site that those same queries have been posted since last year on a great number of forums by a variety of pseudonyms. Many of those usernames are now banned from those forums. This query has also been posted to Rootschat under the name AnnTaylor, even though the DebraBloom user posted the previous query on there. Most forums take a dim view of multi-handling.

Also note that "Debra" originally said her surname Bloom came from her grandfather Ernest Bloom, but is now saying it is "Bloomer" and that she has ignored all advice given to date.
                  Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DebraBloom View Post
                    Does it say the names of Thomas's parents?
                    No: that's the full extent of the information

Comment

I'm trying to find Thomas's parents.
                      Remember this Thomas was born in Staffordshire, married in 1928 and his sons were named Ernest and Thomas (both born 1932)

Comment

I can't work out the mindset of someone who wants to discover her family history but isn't prepared to pay for essential documents. Instead she seems to have alienated practically all of the genealogy community and runs the risk of no-one helping if/when she eventually comes to her senses.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I'm trying to find Thomas's parents.
                          Remember this Thomas was born in Staffordshire, married in 1928 and his sons were named Ernest and Thomas (both born 1932)
                          The birthplace you give is new information (so I don't 'remember' it at all!). The only reliable way forward is to buy the marriage certificate to find Thomas' father's name and occupation. This can be used as a basis for finding or corroborating the correct birth record for Thomas.

If Staffordshire is right, there are 2 possible birth options for Thomas, based on being of the 'right' age to marry in 1928 [but be could be older]:

Q1 1900 Stourbridge
                          Q1 1902 Stourbridge
                          Q3 1912 Stourbridge, mother HADDOCK [too young?]

Again, you'd need to buy the certs (poss. both) to ID the parents and, of course, to match the father's name and occupation with Thomas' marriage record
                          Last edited by Bertie; 22-06-15, 14:30.

Comment

Do you know when Thomas died and his age on death? This would help to ID the most likely birth record

Comment

Going for the first option (Thomas born in 1900)
                              I get:

Mother: Louisa Bloomer
                              Father: Elias Bloomer

But ancestry.com has no records of Louisa Bloomer's or Elias's parents

Comment

You have received very good advice on this and previous threads. There is really very little point in continuing with your quest if you are unwilling to back up your theories with certificates. Our members love a challenge but they can't be expected to continue to help when their advice is consistently rejected.
                                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Going for the first option (Thomas born in 1900)
                                  I get:

Mother: Louisa Bloomer
                                  Father: Elias Bloomer

But ancestry.com has no records of Louisa Bloomer's or Elias's parents
                                  From a quick look at 1901/1911 census records there are 3 or 4 likely sets of parents. There's no way really of going forward with confidence with any of them without more information.

Comment

I don't want to pay for anything.
                                    However you are happy to accept for free the time other people have generously given up in order to find references to further your research, or to give you advice. And seem to be hoping that someone will use resources they have already paid a subscription for so that you can have the information you seek without you having to buy the necessary certificates.
                                    An alternative to buying the civil certificates of birth & marriage is to travel to the local record office of the area concerned and search through the various sets of parish registers to see if you can find the relevant marriage and baptism entries. Such searches are free. However, registry office marriages will not be there, not all children were baptised, and not all post 1900 baptisms have been filmed/deposited.

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-06-15, 15:05.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                                      Do you know when Thomas died and his age on death? This would help to ID the most likely birth record
                                      If you replied to queries from members Debra, like the one above from Bertie, it might help to narrow down which of the births it was. There is no point in looking for the parents of each one, as that won't tell you anything.
                                      First though of course you need the marriage certificate, which would give you the fathers names.
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-06-15, 15:34.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I don't wanna pay
                                        I'm trying to look for a free ancestry account but the ones I tried on bugmenot don't work :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X