FindMyPast Special Collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FindMyPast Special Collections

I thought I would share this with any FMP subscribers who didn't know about this! (maybe I am the only one)

I discovered by accident that a 'Search All Records' may not include searching the Special collections. In particular I was searching for a marriage, which I found some time ago on FMP, in order to check some details, and I couldn't locate it with a general search. Fortunately I had recorded the source details and I so I accessed the special collection "Sowerby Bridge Marriages" and found it immediately.

Does anyone know if there is a way to ensure that a general BMD and Parish search does also search all the appropriate special collections?

David

Originally posted by DavidNewton View Post
    I thought I would share this with any FMP subscribers who didn't know about this! (maybe I am the only one)

I discovered by accident that a 'Search All Records' may not include searching the Special collections. In particular I was searching for a marriage, which I found some time ago on FMP, in order to check some details, and I couldn't locate it with a general search. Fortunately I had recorded the source details and I so I accessed the special collection "Sowerby Bridge Marriages" and found it immediately.

Does anyone know if there is a way to ensure that a general BMD and Parish search does also search all the appropriate special collections?

David
    One way will be to use the optional keyword box with the name of the county/parish depending on what you are looking for - I use that a great deal.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Fast response, thanks.
      Normally I use the keyword box with just the county, in this case Yorkshire, but that didn't do the trick. It turns out that FMP searching is a bit of an art form!

After your comment I went back and tried again and discovered that Yorkshire is enough IF I first restrict the search to Marriages & Divorces but if I do a full BMD and Parish with the marriage year entered that doesn't bring up the Sowerby Bridge record.

Anyway there is a lesson here - if you are searching for a Marriage then restrict the search to marriages before you look.

David

Comment

When a new special collection comes out, I usually do a blanket search for any surname of interest which I think MIGHT feature.
        With regard to the Yorkshire collection (I have lots of families in the East and North Ridings) it's a good idea to go into the Yorkshire parish records - parish list to see just which records are covered. As it isn't always the full set of parish registers for each parish, checking the list helps indicate whether there was no event (e.g marriage at that place) or whether there might have been, but the records are not yet online.
        The addition of new data is planned, so always worth keeping an eye on new developments, or re-checking the parish list.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-06-15, 12:41.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
        X