Laptop will not shut down - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop will not shut down - help please

For the last three days my Samsung Laptop Windows 7 will not 'shut down'. After I click 'shut down' the screen goes to what appears to be normal with the football symbol swirl going round and it says 'Windows is Closing Down' but this does not happen until the battery is flat.
    I have run the virus programme and the malwarebytes and they have not picked up any faults.
    The laptop is now three years old and this has never happened before.
    Could this be anything to do with all the windows updates that we are getting on mass? I have stopped installing them for fear of further faults.

Any help appreciated please.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Margaret I just had a google and one says take the battery out then replace it, or try this

open the task manager and in the process tab click on explorer.exe and then end task then go to file and select new task and enter explorer.exe by this your system will be refreshed then go to start button and in the search write system restore and enter after this select a date (try to select a date at which your laptop was fine) then leave it to complete the backup (it will take about 5 to 10 minutes) and after that it will restart and your laptop would be back to normal

Comment

Hello Val,

Thank you for that info I will have to sleep on it. It sounds real hi tech to me, will let you know how I get on.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

honest Margaret its not , one you start to get into it you will feel more confident just hope it works, try taking the battery out first after you log off if you can.

Comment

Hold the on/off button down until the laptop or indeed desktop shuts down.
          After the next switch on the system should have rectified itself.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Last edited by Guy; 15-06-15, 07:40. Reason: added word down
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

oh I hadn't thought of that I assumed Margaret had tried that, let us know how you get on Margaret

Comment

Hello Val and Guy,

I did try the button but I was far too quick and somehow I think I just pressed it and did not hold it down. Last night I found out to hold it down and it worked. Today a computer contact whom I rarely see has run every programme on this and found 5 corrupt files but only been allowed to delete one. 'C' cleaner has removed 2.4 GB of trash shall we say. He only has the registry to scan and will do that next week. If this does not resolve the problem it looks as if I will have to take the battery out. It has taken him a good two hours so it looks like a bottle of whisky is on the way. When I first showed my friend the issue of course it did not happen but that's how things go. Thank you for your help.
              Last edited by Margaret N; 15-06-15, 22:07. Reason: my bad spelling or typing
              Margaret N

Comment

thats a start Margaret hope he fixes it.

Comment

Working...
                X