• Show
Clear All

• Ancestry problems anyone

home page not opening ? is it just me ?

Fine here!
    Elaine

Comment

OK here although I am fed up of having to constantly sign in

However, finding their searches a bit hit and miss recently. You know something should be coming up and they are not. Couldn't get them to return any result on 1837-2005. Think they are narrowing down a bit too much.

I have contacted them

Vera

Comment

Thanks both ,its really odd when I go to the home page it does but then it wont do any searches?

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
          OK here although I am fed up of having to constantly sign in
          That's a bit of an issue for me too.

If I follow a link that someone posts here, it lets me straight in and I can see the record. If I go to the site myself (without following a link) it asks me to sign in.

Weird

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            Thanks both ,its really odd when I go to the home page it does but then it wont do any searches?
            Are you using Chrome? I had that problem some weeks back - one of several reasons I went back to Firefox. It started off as normal but then refused to let me use any links including the Search button!! I haven't tried recently to see if has improved.

(Unrelated to Ancestry, but this was another reason for ditching it: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-npapi-plug-in )
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've just come in for a cuppa and tried to get on the site but it keeps asking me to sign in and then not recognising me I feel rejected.

I was so glad to see that you folks were having problems too - sorry.

Comment

Apparantly they are having problems. Someone posted that there is a message on Facebook about it.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Same for me - won't even let me submit an email request re password

Comment

Thank goodness for that! I thought it had taken a dislike to me.

Comment

I've been using it on and off all morning with no problems, apart from the person I wanted being mis-transcribed. :D

I wonder if it because I never sign out ...???
                      Caroline
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I never sign out either - not willingly! Can't get in today.

Comment

Glad it isn't just my problem I am paranoid enough thanks :I have also found if I try to look at a link to ancestry from here it always asks me to sign in now
                          I am using chrome Caroline I dont know why but when I try firefox the pages scroll up so slowly it drives me nuts.

Comment

I assume that everybody is using an up-to-date version of whatever browser they try, bearing in mind that some browsers don't work too well on older systems, and also that the site has been updated recently?

Have you tried different browsers if you are having troubles with it at the moment?

At the risk of sounding like "I'm alright, Jack", I am using Firefox 38.0.5 on Windows 8.1 and haven't logged out for weeks and am whizzing around there today. (Now I will probably get kicked out too ....)
                            Caroline

Comment

I dont think I ever whizz round, :(I have got the most recent updates so it isn't that.

Comment

I got locked out this afternoon. Told me my password was wrong - it wasn't as it's stored in the browser and autoentered. Tried about 10 mins later and it worked fine. I've been having the logged out issue for about 2 months now. I never log out but lately I find that at the start of a new browsing session I have been logged out and have to start again. I have Win8.1 and IE11 all up to date.
                                Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-06-15, 22:06.

Comment

The site went down earlier today. Took them a while to get all of the various bits up & running again so it was acting strangely for a while after. I always check their Facebook pages when I get problems - loads of people were complaining and the admins were keeping everyone updated while they tried to fix it.

The logging out problem is affecting IE11 & Chrome from what I've heard and IE11 is also getting persistent banner messages about cookies every time you land on the "Search all Records" form. Both started when they put the new search forms live a couple of months ago - not that they are admitting it though !!
                                  Rick

Comment

well its good to know its not an isolated incident Galloway and Rick, its just asked me to sign in again.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 15-06-15, 23:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                      well its good to know its not an isolated incident Galloway and Rick, its just asked me to sign in again.
                                      I might have tempted fate but I logged out deliberately to see what would happen. I cleared cache etc. and have just logged back in with no trouble. It flashed up that those details were invalid, I pressed the button again and got straight in. It looked as though I was still on the "get a subscription" page, but I could see that I was logged on, so clicked on Home and am up and running fine again. I have now done that twice, so either they've fixed it or it is well worthwhile changing browsers ....
                                      Caroline

Comment

I have noticed some members on the Great War Forum complaining about the same problem. Just logged in to A and it was instantaneous and all working fine.

I wonder if it is the UK feed or something like that.
                                        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                                        X