ancestry vs genesreunited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ancestry vs genesreunited

I am just wondering where is the best place to subscribe.
    I always used to go to ancestry but genesreunited seems to be a bit cheaper but did it have all the information that ancestry has?
    Jen

Horses for courses, and you generally gets what you pays for. GR has its uses but Ancestry has a far bigger range of data. And if you shop around you can pick up a cheap copy of last year's Family Tree Maker software with a free 6 month subscription to Ancestry (the World edition of FTM gets you the worldwide subscription to Ancestry).
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ancestry has a vast amount of information and adds to it all the time. It depends which area you are interested in though. Sometimes Find my Past can cover the area you need better. I have not been to Genes for years!
      Anne

Comment

Thank you. I think for what I need find my past seems to be the best as it has an offer for 1 month for £1 and don't really need membership for long as just searching the main basic line, famous last words!
        Jen

Comment

Don't forget to cancel it before the £1 month is up or they will automatically take the full sub as soon as the month is finished. LOL the £1 is a cunning way to make sure they have your correct card details!
          Anne

Comment

GR records are merely the ones from FindMyPast ............. they are owned by the same company BrigthSolid

GR does not have its own records

FindMyPast has many more that are not accessed by GR

ergo, your choices are FMP or ancestry

I have ancestry, and am happy with it, but I do know that FMP has some records that are not on ancestry ............. and the reverse is also true.

I suggest that you take a 2 week free trail in either one to see which best suits your needs ............. but you do have to give them your credit card number, so be sure to send an email no later than day 10 or 11 if you decide you do not wish to continue on to a subscription.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

When comparing the sites such as FMP and Ancestry, it's worth checking what you can get via your local library service. Ours has the library edition of Ancestry (you have to visit a branch for that and book a computer - usually a fairly clunky system, and you're limited in length of time you can book in one go), so I can get by without an Ancestry sub, so I have a FP sub and pick up on Ancestry special offers.

When I'm doing that, I try to work out exactly what I'm going to want before I go, so that I don't use up too much time on trawling.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lots of people find FMP difficult to use in searches so be aware of this.

Edna

Comment

As I am not the best with remembering to cancel things we decided to go with ancestry. I know my way around the site and can keep everything in the same place, probably can on other sites but I wouldn't know what I am doing.
                  Thank you.
                  Jen

Comment

Quick question regarding Ancestry. Is there a way of stopping photos being copied off my Ancestry tree to be used on other peoples?
                    The reason I ask is because someone is saving my pics to use on their tree. Now, I don't mind them using them one bit as long as their tree is accurate and a few distant relatives have made contact to ask permission and it's been a great way of making contact and I feel so fortunate that I have so many very old pics. The person concerned has made his/her tree private and when I've sent a pm has not returned it.
                    I feel mean not sharing and would be more than happy to, if I knew who it was and that their tree is genuine.

Comment

Unless you make your tree private there is always the risk that someone will copy your tree or help themselves to photos or documents you may have uploaded.
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by wr. View Post
                        Quick question regarding Ancestry. Is there a way of stopping photos being copied off my Ancestry tree to be used on other peoples?
                        The reason I ask is because someone is saving my pics to use on their tree. Now, I don't mind them using them one bit as long as their tree is accurate and a few distant relatives have made contact to ask permission and it's been a great way of making contact and I feel so fortunate that I have so many very old pics. The person concerned has made his/her tree private and when I've sent a pm has not returned it.
                        I feel mean not sharing and would be more than happy to, if I knew who it was and that their tree is genuine.
                        Not everyone has good manners... or even realises that good manners might be relevant! :(

C
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The short answer really is that you cannot stop anyone helping themselves to anything from your tree as long as it remains public.

Make your tree on ancestry Private ..... anyone searching for any names in your tree will be informed that there is a Private tree, and can contact you via the internal messaging.

Then you can ask questions of them to establish how closely connected they are to you, and how good their research might be before you decide whether or not to share.

This is not being mean, but is controlling who has access to your family information.
                          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I have now made that particular tree private.

Comment

Photos attached to living people cannot be seen or copied so you could still have a public tree and attach any photos of ancestors long dead to yourself as well.
                              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 14-06-15, 11:23.

Comment

I find that I can build my tree much quicker with ancestry but it is also easier to copy other peoples mistakes and to double up on entries but sometimes if I am having trouble finding records for anyone I ring the changes as to who I subscribe to and it can throw up new results I hadn't found before.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie Blake View Post
                                  I find that I can build my tree much quicker with ancestry but it is also easier to copy other peoples mistakes and to double up on entries but sometimes if I am having trouble finding records for anyone I ring the changes as to who I subscribe to and it can throw up new results I hadn't found before.
                                  Hopefully you follow up with relevant BMD certificates to make sure you are following the correct trail. They can also provide clues (names of relatives and also ages and dates) that aren't available from the online indexes.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                  X