I need help with 1911 england census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with 1911 england census

Hi all. Trying to find family on the 1911 England census. Their names are Harry Martin or Harry Willis Martin, wife Violet Green (Broughton maiden name)
    they have a son born 1910 and died 21 April 1911. His brother and wife were called Martin, I couldnt find them and this forum found them for me they were listed as Mastin.
    i have searched all the forms that I can think of Martin, Willis, Mastin, and cant find. They lived at 42 Archer Lane in Boston Lincolnshire, but on the census this house is missing also.
    Could they have been at a hospital or somewhere, Have tried William Broughton who would have been Violets father in case they were with him on census night but to no avail. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
    i have found this forum helpful in the past, and thought I would ask again. Some of you might remember the Martin, Willis-Martin, or Willis queries although it was quite a long while ago.
    Thank you in advance
    Glenda

Originally posted by glendahewitt View Post
    Hi all. Trying to find family on the 1911 England census. Their names are Harry Martin or Harry Willis Martin, wife Violet Green (Broughton maiden name)
    they have a son born 1910 and died 21 April 1911. His brother and wife were called Martin, I couldnt find them and this forum found them for me they were listed as Mastin.
    i have searched all the forms that I can think of Martin, Willis, Mastin, and cant find. They lived at 42 Archer Lane in Boston Lincolnshire, but on the census this house is missing also.
    Could they have been at a hospital or somewhere, Have tried William Broughton who would have been Violets father in case they were with him on census night but to no avail. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
    i have found this forum helpful in the past, and thought I would ask again. Some of you might remember the Martin, Willis-Martin, or Willis queries although it was quite a long while ago.
    Thank you in advance
    Glenda
    Hi all. Sorry we've had this conversation several years ago. Was just looking lover my history. But perhaps something new had come to light.

Comment

when were they born ??

Comment

The 1911 Census was taken on the nights of 2nd and 3rd April 1911 in England, Wales, Channel Islands and Isle of Man
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

In case it helps ..............

According to 1 Public Family Trees on ancestry, the son William Henry Willis Martin was born 2 September 1910, in Boston, Lincolnshire

Harry (Willis) Martin was born 30 Aug 1886 in Boston, Lincolnshire, and died in Lincolnshire in 1959

Violet Green Broughton was born Jun quarter 1887 in Boston, Lincolnshire, England. No death given
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

not found a thing yet ?

Comment

there is a Birth for an Arthur D Martin mothers maiden name Broughton ,in 1912 March quarter 7a 858 in Grantham Lincolnshire

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                there is a Birth for an Arthur D Martin mothers maiden name Broughton ,in 1912 March quarter 7a 858 in Grantham Lincolnshire
                I think he may have died in 1980 Grantham if that's a clue? -
                Arthur Dennis Martin - Birth Date 3 Jan 1912 - Date of Registration Dec 1980 - Age at Death 68 - Registration district Grantham - County Lincolnshire - Volume 7 - Page 1612

If 42 Archer Lane in Boston Lincolnshire is missing from the 1911 census that may be why they can't be found?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

On the 1911 census summary books 42 Archer Lane is shown as uninhabited

Jackie

Comment

Oh, they must have either been elsewhere then.

Comment

Hi Night Owl. The son Wm Henry Willis Martin died 21/26 April 1911. Address is given as 42 Archer Lane. So does that mean house uninhabited on census night only. Or that they were living elsewhere, if so why is Archer Lane on death cert.

Comment

Perhaps they moved in between the census being taken and the day he died?

Comment

I suppose its inevitable that some people were missed. There's some info about who was supposed to be included at an address here

and particularly this bit

Very precise instructions were given to try and ensure every one was counted once and only once. The rule was that someone should be included if they passed the night of Sunday April 2 1911 in this dwelling and were alive at midnight or arrived at the dwelling the following morning not having been enumerated elsewhere - intended to catch night workers. This did not include new-born children - anyone born after midnight should not have been enumerated.
                          The enumerators would have visited each dwelling in the days leading up to the census and left the forms and then collected them in after census night. I was an enumerator for the 1981 census and its quite difficult to physically get to see someone at every address and there's a limit to how many times you can keep going back.

As Chrissie said, they may have moved in after census night or they may have been staying elsewhere and just got missed.

I've looked for all sorts of variations of names and ages and drawn a blank I'm afraid
                          Jackie

Comment

Glenda

do you know what occupation Harry did? when/where were they married please
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-06-15, 10:32. Reason: don't matter found them!
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have found this but can't see anything else at the moment to discount this family

1911: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=5876246
                              Julie

Comment

a possible death for Violet

Name: Violet Martin
                                Birth Date: abt 1888
                                Date of Registration: Jun 1968
                                Age at Death: 80
                                Registration district: Boston
                                Inferred County: Lincolnshire
                                Volume: 3b
                                Page: 3
                                Julie

Comment

there is a lovely picture of him here [harry]

Julie

Comment

this tree also shows BMD certs

Julie

Comment

Those trees are a good find Julie

I think you can discount that 1911 census though. A Henry Martin married a Violetta Needham in 1903 in Nottingham.

Comment

thanks Chris

my head is hurting..lol.. I have been looking at the family and the name Willis just pops up from nowhere! one minute they are called martin then Willis-Martin

Martin Willis and so on..
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X