Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone decipher this marriage register?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone decipher this marriage register?

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble making out some of the writing on this marriage register - the bottom line. It's the bride's mother's maiden name and I can't figure it out at all (the one thing I really wanted to know!). Any ideas?

For reference, the rest of it says:
    Joseph Coutts
    General Labourer
    Elizabeth Coutts
    M. S. (indecipherable bit)

Thank you!

Sorry, didn't embed the picture correctly - here it is

Comment

Would the image show better if it was a little smaller? It begins with a B (I think!) Maybe the next letter is a i or perhaps an l.
      How about Birse??
      Anne

Comment

Oooh yes, that does look like a B! Birse would make sense - she's from Aberdeenshire.

Thank you!

Rachel

Comment

I think the suggestions above are probably correct, but for future reference some of the scans available on ScotlandsPeople are very poor quality. A couple of times recently I have used their on-line system to complain about the image, and received a much better quality copy by email within 24hrs.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Oh that's really useful to know, thank you - some of their scans really are very poor!

Rachel

Comment

I would say Brose

Vera

Comment

Have you looked on scotlandspeople to see if you can find the marriage between the parents and what they have transcribed as the maiden name?

Or depending on what the date was on family search.
                Last edited by JBee; 01-06-15, 17:39.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Just looked on family search and they've only given me one in 1790.

However there's only one in 1856 on Scotlandspeople
                  Joseph Duncan Coutts marries Elizabeth Webster in Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn, Aberdeenshire

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I took a look on Ancestry at the family trees on there and they all seem to have it as follows, William Birse married Mary Ross on the 24th November 1804, so it seems that it is her married name not her maiden name on the certificate. They had 9 children including Elizabeth Birse who married Joseph Coutts on the 1st October 1825.

Pam

Comment

I'd say it's clearly Birse but that only because I'm used to this type of writing. It is correct that SP will quite happily rescan bad images and send you a new free scan very quickly. It will be the best they can get. SP staff rely on users to flag up poor quality images as there are many of them. If you go to SP in Edinburgh they have a basket on the desk for users to leave details of any duff ones they come across and also any index entries that bring up the wrong image.

What date is the marriage you posted up?
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 01-06-15, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                        I think the suggestions above are probably correct, but for future reference some of the scans available on ScotlandsPeople are very poor quality. A couple of times recently I have used their on-line system to complain about the image, and received a much better quality copy by email within 24hrs.
                        I have done the same, with similar results. My best ever result was with an 1855 birth where the registrar had used an extremely fine nib. I received in the post an A3 size scan (1855 register entries were 2 pages wide) which was beautifully legible.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X