Census 1881 in Lanarkshire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census 1881 in Lanarkshire?

Not being familiar with Scottish research, would there have been a 1881 Census taken in Glasgow, Lanarkshire? If so, where would I find it?

Am just going back through my records and find I have not got a 1881 Census for my paternal grandmother. Can't find her on Ancestry. Have all other census records though. There is a possibility she would have been in Maryhill, Glasgow, Lanarkshire as her father was in the Army then and the sister born after her was registered in Maryhill, Glasgow in 1880.

My grandmother Emily Louisa Courtney was born Aldershot in 1877 so would have been about 3years old.

Her father was Henry Courtney b. Ireland 1840'ish!!
    Mother Louisa Grace Courtney b.Portsmouth 1851.
    Henry Courtney b.1876 Sheffield
    Emily Louisa Courtney b.1877 Aldershot. Hampshire
    Florence Christina b.1880 Maryhill, glasgow. Lanarkshire
    The next sibling Albert Courtney B1882 Kinsdale. Ireland!
    You can see the family were well travelled...obviously as an Army family.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Punchs Mum
    Last edited by Punchs mum; 31-05-15, 15:16. Reason: spelling

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
    Not being familiar with Scottish research, would there have been a 1881 Census taken in Glasgow, Lanarkshire? If so, where would I find it?
    Available both on Ancestry and Findmypast

Ancestry:

FMP:
    Elaine

Comment

Doesn't answer your question, but have you got his service records which are available on Findmypast ..

British Army Service Records 1760-1915
      Henry Courtney, born 1843 Dondeban, Granard, Londford, Ireland.
      Service number 1534
      Regiment Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) - 19th Foot
      Document Type Attestation
      Attestation date: 18 Feb 1863
      Attestation Corps 19th Foot
      Attestation service number 1534
      Discharge Corps 19th Foot
      Series WO97 chelsea pensioners british army service records 1760-1913
      Elaine

Comment

Can't see them in the 1881 census in either England or Scotland - maybe they were in Ireland by then.
        Elaine

Comment

Just been looking myself Elaine and I can't find them either! Possibility they were in Ireland by then like you say. Will never find them there then.lol.

Regards to Henry's service records,yes I do have them thanks. Paid a researcher £28 to get them from National archives for me when I first started this addictive hobby! Have seen them since,like you said online!! Have got a little older and a little wiser now.
          Thanks for your reply. Lesley
          Last edited by Punchs mum; 31-05-15, 18:05.

Comment

On the service record medical history page it shows where Henry was stationed. Says he was in Glasgow from 22.1.1880 and then Kinsale from 28.1.1881 and Kilkenny from 10.4.1883

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
            Jackie

Comment

Oh! I never saw that Jackie! Well that solves that mystery of the missing 1881 census then! Must admit I find the service records difficult to read in the print out I have. Will have to study the record with the aid of a magnifying glass!!

Many thanks for that information.
              Lesley

Comment

Working...
              X