Taylor/Purves /Berwick-on-Tweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor/Purves /Berwick-on-Tweed

Does anyone living in Berwick,Northumberland ,England ,have any connection to Taylors, Butchers or Purves boot and shoe shops . Don`t have any specific dates . A Mr Purves had a boot and shoe shop in 1906 ,I think in Marygate ,Berwick . A Taylor had a butchers shop in Tweedmouth late 1800s .I believe there were two more butcher shops .I have most of the trees for these two families ,but would like to know when they were trading .I have a couple of books of Old Berwick ,but nothing I can see.
    Thanks
    Julip

Have you thought about contacting Northumberland Archives which is run by a charitable trust at Woodhorn?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John,
      Thanks for advice, I had no idea this existed . Will contact them ,hopefully they might have something
      Julip

Comment

Even better, try Berwick Record Office on 01289 301865 and speak with the Archivist, Linda Bankier, who is very helpful and an absolute whizz on Berwick. If anyone does know about these businesses, she might. Berwick Record Office is part of Northumberland Archives.
        Berwick on Tweed Council published a descriptive account of Berwick on Tweed in 1995 with additional text by the Archivist and although the history of many Berwick businesses between 1894 and 1994 are included I could not see any mention of those you seek.

Good luck, merleyone

Comment

Thanks Merleyone,

I am actually going to Berwick Archives next week , I will ask Linda if she can find anything . I emailed Woodhorn , but haven`t heard anything yet .

Thanks
          Julip

Comment

You may already know that an invaluable source held at Berwick Record Office are the records of the Guild of Freemen. If, by chance, your Taylor or Purves men were Freemen of Berwick you may find it worthwhile to have a look at these records.

merleyone

Comment

I met Linda many years ago when I was virtually a novice and she was extremely helpful.

Unfortunately I still have a lot of problems with my Hopes/Slights of Berwick and will have to visit again when I get the chance.

Why don't the 1841 census's include relationships? - so frustrating.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Merleyone,
                No I didn`t know about the Freemen records ,I will certainly have a look .

JBee, I have always thought that about 1841 records . Sometimes if you are lucky the same people are on the following census records ,1851 etc, so you can find the relationship , but not always .

Thanks to all for info,and advice .I have plenty to work on now . No reply from Woodhorn yet ,they did say within 21 days !
                Julip

Comment

Working...
                X