Ceridwen Mary West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceridwen Mary West

Hello all. This is one that I have been struggling with for some time. My father's first cousin died 10 June 1988 in the West Middlesex Hospital, Isleworth aged 73. She'd lived in a sheltered accommodation called Fenn House in Isleworth with her husband, Simeon Samuel George West, also deceased according to my late father. Ceridwen'd had a older brother, Caredig Jones. Apart from knowing that he is also dead, I know nothing about him but with fairly unusual names all round you'd think this would be an easy one to solve. I must be looking in all the wrong places so far. Their parents, Jim and Margaret Jones nee Rees had moved to London from South Wales after getting married in 1912. Attached is their wedding photograph.

On Ceridwen's dc, it gives her maiden name as Farley. I assume this was a previous married name although my father never mentioned the fact. Starting to think that her father might have been James Farley and not Jones but that's a big difference!
    Thanks everyone, Wynne

FreeBMD has this birth registration:

Q3 1914, Pontypridd, vol 11a, page 1544
    Ceridwen M Farley
    mother's maiden name Berry

Could "Margaret Jones nee Rees" have previously been married to a Mr Berry, perhaps?

The only Caredig Jones I can see was b. Q4 1905 in Pontypridd Reg District, so could he be James' son by a previous marriage?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I've found that Caredig Jones (b. Treforest) on the 1911 census. He's with parents

John Jones, 51, builder, b. Llanarthy, Carmarthen
      Maria Jones, 38, wife, b. Merthyr, Glamorgan (married 8 yrs, 2 children both living)
      Myrddyn Fyfuan Jones, 8mths, son, b. Treforest
      and
      Deborah Matthews, 15, domestic servant, b. Maesteg
      Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 28-05-15, 10:11.

Comment

A maiden name is the name in which a woman first contacts a marriage, usually her birth name (but not always), and should not change no matter how many times she marries again.

However - whether that is recorded correctly is dependant on the woman being asked the right questions, giving correct information, and that being recorded correctly.
        Last edited by AntonyM; 28-05-15, 10:39.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

A maiden name is the name in which a woman first contacts a marriage, usually her birth name (but not always) , and should not change no matter how many times she marries again.

However - that is always dependant on the right questions being asked, the informant giving correct information, and that being recorded correctly.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 28-05-15, 10:41.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Ceridwen Mary West who died in 1988 was born on 15th July 1914 according to the death index.

There is a WW1 pension record on Ancestry for Albert Edward Farley

A few pages in his wife and child are listed

Wife at marriage - Esther Berry, spinster married 19th July 1913 in Treherbert (I think that's what it says)

Daughter - Ceridwen Mary born 14th July 1914 Pontypridd

I'm struggling at the moment to find any connection to any Jones's
            Jackie

Comment

FreeBMD has

Simeon S G West
              marrying
              Ceridwen M Farley
              Q4 1936, vol 3a, page 784 Brentford RegDistrict

Comment

Marriages Sep 1912 ???
                JONES James E ......Rees Newport M 11a 454
                REES Margaret L ....Jones Newport M 11a 454

Comment

I wonder if they were actually brother and sister? It all looks a bit confusing.

I think the most likely marriage for her parents is - Sep 1913 Berry Esther to Albert E Farley Pontypridd 11a 1151.

The only James Jones to a Margaret Rees, marrying in South Wales in 1912 appears to be - Marriages Sep 1912 - Jones James E Rees Newport M 11a 454 to Rees Margaret L Jones.

However, the 1911 census that STG found was a John and Maria and the marriage for that one could possibly be Marriages Mar 1903 - Jones John - Merthyr T. 11a 828 to Jones Maria. Maria would have been old enough to have been married before though, so might be worth tracking her back.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Wow! You've all been very busy. Thank you so much for taking the time to look these people up. I really do appreciate your help.
                    Right, here is Ceridwen's dc

And here's a pic of Jim and Margaret with their three children. You can easily tell that they are Margaret's by their eyes IMO. I only know the names of the boy and one of the girls although my father used to talk about his cousin, "Mari London." I presume that was Ceridwen MARY as I think it unlikely that they have a daughter Mary and Mari.

And another of Jim. Margaret and Caredig

Margaret as a milliner and they were married 1912 at Abercarn, Monmouthshire. I'm pretty sure she died 1940 in London - Westminster has been mentioned?
                    At some stage, Ceridwen lived in Greenway Close, Totteridge N20. Electoral roles have her living in Dale Street, Hounslow in 1937 and Kew Bridge road, Gunnersbury, London in 1964.

I suspect the answer to this question is NO, but is it possible to find a birth cert by only having the parents' names?

Comment

The plot thickens I'm afraid From what you have said I would say the marriage is the one I posted above - James E Jones to a Margaret L Rees, marrying in Newport (which covers Abercarn) in Sept 1912 - Ref 11a 454.

Could the children, looking at the age differences in the photo, be these? -
                      Births Sep 1913 - Ceredig T Jones - mmn Rees - Barnet 3a 834
                      Births Jun 1920 M... E Jones - mmn Rees - Barnet 3a 967
                      Births Mar 1922 Iorweth R Jones - mmn Rees - Barnet 3a 744

Unfortunately that doesn't account for Ceridwen being a sister.

Sorry I have had to edit the middle ones name as there is a likely marriage for her but I can't find a death.
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-05-15, 17:02.

Comment

Likely deaths of -

Ceredig Thomas Jones - Birth Date 24 May 1913 - Mar 1985 - Age 71 - Reg district Reading and Wokingham - County Berkshire - Volume 19 - Page 266

Iorwerth R Jones - Birth Date abt 1922 - Date of Registration Dec 1939 - Age at Death 17 - Reg district - Marylebone London - Volume - 1a - Page - 768

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          The plot thickens I'm afraid From what you have said I would say the marriage is the one I posted above - James E Jones to a Margaret L Rees, marrying in Newport (which covers Abercarn) in Sept 1912 - Ref 11a 454.

Could the children, looking at the age differences in the photo, be these? -
                          Births Sep 1913 - Ceredig T Jones - mmn Rees - Barnet 3a 834
                          Births Jun 1920 M... E Jones - mmn Rees - Barnet 3a 967
                          Births Mar 1922 Iorweth R Jones - mmn Rees - Barnet 3a 744

Unfortunately that doesn't account for Ceridwen being a sister.

Sorry I have had to edit the middle ones name as there is a likely marriage for her but I can't find a death.
                          Those look very likely. Iorwerth is a boy's name but there could well have been another boy which I'd not heard of. My father would only have been 7 at the time of his death so that may account for that. I've never applied for a birth cert so where do I go for those?

I see that Totteridge is close to Barnet too so this looks very promising.
                          Thanks Chrissie

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                            FreeBMD has

Simeon S G West
                            marrying
                            Ceridwen M Farley
                            Q4 1936, vol 3a, page 784 Brentford RegDistrict
                            That's a definite hit. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                              Marriages Sep 1912 ???
                              JONES James E ......Rees Newport M 11a 454
                              REES Margaret L ....Jones Newport M 11a 454
                              This looks good too. Thank you Gwyn.

Comment

They certainly look a good possibility for Ceredig and his family but that wouldn't make him an older brother of Ceridwen. So I'm still puzzled.

Comment

Sorry, I see that you also asked where to get certificates from. This is the best place as they can be more expensive from other places - http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/ce...es/default.asp
                                  When you have the GRO references numbers (as you do) don't forget to tick that you have them.

Comment

It seems that Simeon only lived for a year after his wife -
                                    Name:
                                    Simeon Samuel G West - Birth Date - 30 Apr 1914 - Date of Registration - Feb 1989 - Age at Death 74 - Registration district - Hounslow London - Volume 13 - Page 1353

Comment

I can see now that Ceridwen Mary West and Simeon Samuel George West were red herrings, but thanks to you all, I have been put on the right track. The photo I posted earlier with the three children threw me. I thought there were two girls and the boy. The youngest is probably the younger son, Iorwerth who died aged 17. I've ordered birth, marriage and death certificates now and look forward to seeing what they reveal.

Comment

Going on from this thread, can anyone identify the regiment that Jim was in please?

Comment

Working...
                                        X