• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me trace my grandfather's ancestry please

These are the facts I know;
    Born in England in '32. In the 'black country'
    Full name: Ernest Bloomer

May have heard about his father having the same name as him but I am not sure. He had a twin namedTommy.

not sure if they are dead so pming you

Comment

If I have this right - Ernest was b 1932 - His twin was a sister named N*****and they were born Sheffield - MMN Hopkinson - is this correct ?
      Ernest died 1998
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
      Last edited by garstonite; 27-05-15, 01:30.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Apologies - that is the wrong family ....2 Ernest Bloomer born 1932 and both were twins ...that's a coincidence .
        I have left that death in 1998 on so you know that is NOT your Ernest Bloomer ....
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

With the help of a friend I managed to trace my grandad's line to Robert Barzilay Bloomer
          & Hannah Benveniste Mendes (born 1509 - Gloucestershire)
          At this point the name changes, it's spelled either Blomer or Blumer.
          I went back further still and found the surname first started as Herrera which is strange but interesting.

At the same time though this seems to disprove that my line is related to a certain famous person by the surname Bloomer, since his family tree is known. My mother would say that he was her great great uncle.

Comment

That's astonishing progress. In the space of about four hours you've gone from looking for someone b. 1932 to finding a relation b. 1509. Amazing ;)
            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

If you really HAVE traced your family line back to 1509 (which I doubt, as there are very few records surviving for the 1500s) then they are not Jewish because there is no unbroken line of Jewish records in the UK that far back. Most Jewish researchers struggle to get back before 1800 in the UK. Where did you get this information?

OC

Comment

Yes there were twins of those names born in Stourbridge Dec quarter 1932 6c 73

Excuse my friends here being cynical of your friends findings but unless you research each section of the family yourself and prove with certification through each branch of the family, instead of finding another tree with supposedly proven facts back to the 1500s we find it hard to believe as there are so many fairy stories out there that do not prove their claims and people just copy those trees like sheep filling Ancestry with make believe.
                If you want to believe the tree you have followed then check the authenticity by asking for proof of every part of the tree before just accepting it.

Good luck in your research.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post

Excuse my friends here being cynical ...
                  Cynical? Moi? ;)
                  Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 27-05-15, 15:46.
                  Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Hi Debra

I'm afraid you have to check every step of the way with certificates - even those between you and your grandfather. You'd be amazed at what can come to light (family secrets - no marriages, 2nd marriages even bigamy and parentage might not be who you think they are).

I made the mistake of presuming I knew information so didn't bother confirming it before I started researching further back.

I purchased preceeding birth, marriage and death certificates, visited local records offices and spent a lot of time and money. You can imagine how I felt when I finally got the marriage certificate and saw I'd researched the wrong family. My ancestor had died young and there were only two families with that surname in the town and their children had similar names but there's no connection between the two that I've found. At least one other person had made the same mistake as me but has only partially corrected his tree.

Many public trees have errors which even when pointed out with proof the owners don't want to correct. Some people just copy other trees without checking and so you find there could be a large number containing the wrong information.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Debra

Can you please confirm that the surname is Bloomer and not Bloom.

I have found a reference to an E. Bloom in the Jewish Chronicle for 1904, Dudley. Mr E. Bloom lately of Tredegar. He should be on the 1901 census.

OC

Comment

I'd like to know my grandfather's father's name.. marriage dates, name etc

Comment

So the very first thing you need to do is order your grandfather's birth certificate. The reference was given in post 8.
                          You order certificates from the General register office (you can order from abroad if you are not in the UK). Each certificate costs £9.25 (don't be tricked into paying any more than that.
                          The birth certificate will have your grandfather's father and mother's names on it and the address they were living at. Once you have his parents names you will be able to get their marriage certificate, which will have both the bride and groom's fathers names.
                          Anne

Comment

Both mother's maiden names are Taylor. (Ernest Bloomer born in thirty two.. same as Thomas Bloomer)

Comment

Correct, that shows they most probably were twins as you said previously.
                              Order his birth certificate and you will find the full names of Ernest's parents.
                              Anne

Comment

I don't feel like going into that trouble
                                I'm wondering if this info can be found online first

Comment

No it is not very likely that you would find out for sure.
                                  For the times before the 1911 census you can do some of the work from census entries but for 1932 the only way to be sure is to get certificates. Without them you are very likely to follow the wrong family and what's the point of that?!
                                  Good luck
                                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by DebraBloom View Post
                                    Priceless
                                    I'm off to join STG in the cynical corner...
                                    Rick

Comment

Afraid if you want to research your family tree properly you have to bite the bullet and purchase certificates and I would say that you start with your parents certificates.

Friend of mine, eldest in family, when she got her own birth certificate found her father wasn't who she thought he was. There had been a previous marriage which she knew nothing of.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by DebraBloom View Post
                                        I'm wondering if this info can be found online first
                                        if I was you I'd give it up now as it can work out quite expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                        X