Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No death record?

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and also new to tracing my family tree!

I wonder if anyone can advise .. two of my relatives, both of whom died in the early 1900s don't have a death record. I am sure of their surnames when they died and certain that they died in the UK, but I've used various search methods but .. NADA!

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Jane

Welcome to the forum - perhaps you can give us their names and, between us, we can have a go at tracking them down for you.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you Caroline

Their names are Edith Billingham Crosby who was born in 1886 (and who had definitely died by 1913, though not sure when. She was born in Bewdley, Kidderminster or thereabouts, possibly Wribbenhall). The other is her mother, Ellen Crosby, nee Ellen Billingham (husband was Charles Ward Crosby). She was born in 1854 and lived a long life .. well into the 40's I think. She was born in Croughton, Northants I believe.

THANK YOU AGAIN

Jane

Comment

was Edith not married ?

Comment

Edith Billingham CROSBY died, age 25 in 1911 in Dundee - you will find the details via the ScotlandsPeople website. The family are living there in 1901, so I suspect that is where you need to be looking for later family events.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 26-05-15, 11:53.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi Janey - In 1901 the family are in Dundee in Scotland and Edith is an apprentice Dressmaker. She is with her mother & Father and sister Winifred.

1901 census Scotland
            registration number 282/3
            Registration District St Clement
            Civil Parish Dundee
            address 161 Strathmartine Road Hill View

ED: 24
            Household schedule number: 170
            LINE: 11

Charles W Crosby 44 - Jute carpet Designer
            Ellen Crosby 47
            Edith B Crosby 14 - appr dressmaker
            Winifred M Crosby 10

off to look for some more info
            Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Janey - there is an Ellen Crosby whose death was registered in 2Q 1942 Newton Abbot vol 5b p337 aged 88 - however there is no certainty this is the correct lady.
              Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Thanks so much everyone!

That is definitely the right one, in Dundee, thank you. I had completely forgotten that they lived there and now I remember my dad telling me. There were three sisters, Edith (who died aged 25 and who was the middle one), an older one called Ellen (who was my great grandmother) and Winifred who went on to become the first female accountant in this country.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it.

jane

Comment

Working...
                X