Which name is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which name is it?

Hi guys, I have a marriage of an Eleanor Brack here to a Joseph Peacock in 1831, Stockton but then all the Census records & her death say Ellen. I don't have an official birth but the records I have say that she's from Bentham in Yorkshire possibly in 1797. Which do you think that she is as her only daughter & granddaughters are Ellen's as well.

Eleanor Brack
    Female
    Single
    26 Dec 1831
    Stockton Parish, Durham, England
    Joseph Peacock
    Page 7 - Line 20
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Ellen is a variation of Eleanor and Helen. Nellie is a variation of Ellen and Helen.

So I would say she is the same person on the censuses, if all the other information is correct.

Bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Going by location and proximity to Stockton, this seems a stronger possibility Ellen Brack, d/o George Brack & Isabel bp Skelton in Cleveland.
      born 3 June 1896, bp 25 June.
      Do you have a death date and age at death? Any hint of her parents' names?

With regards to the name, Ellen and Eleanor are of the same derivation and are often interchangeable. Sometimes Ellen is used as a pet name for Eleanor, sometimes clergymen "latinised" Ellen and recorded the name as Eleanor.
      Census records and death registration would depend on information given by someone who knew her; a marriage record would be at the mercy of the vicar.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-05-15, 17:39.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Ellen Peacock
        Female
        30 Mar 1882
        Stockton Upon Tees, Durham, England
        cn 721
        The street information on durham records matches the 1881 census as well Jay.

Comment

Estimated year of birth on LDS records always presents a problem because of actual dates of birth & death. The Ellen Brack in post 3 would have been 85 years old on 30 Mar 1882 - she would not have achieved the age of 86 until 3 June 1882.
          I'm not saying that that is the right bp, just pointing out that we need to be mindful of how precise dates can affect estimated ages.

No information on possible parents for your Ellen/Eleanor? Neither of them appear in the households of extended family members in any census return?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Nup and neither do her husbands. I have their supposed birth locations as Bentham, 2 children born & baptised in Leeds, and the next 3 in Darlington but considering the first 2 were well before the marriage I'm not exactly 100% on that one either.

Comment

I think that there's a possibility of Joseph's baptism being found:
              Ingleton & Bentham are both located in Craven, North Yorks

Joseph Peacock
              Male
              28 Apr 1798
              Ingleton,York,England
              Richard Peacock

Comment

Working...
              X