Pte Samuel Sneyd 1771 - 1793

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pte Samuel Sneyd 1771 - 1793

I'm throwing this one out there as I've hit the proverbial Brick Wall!!

I'm looking for any military records that relate to my 5x Great Grandfather Samuel Sneyd, born Audley Staffs around 1754.

I have a couple of military records the first is his admission into the Royal Garrison Battalion in March 1783 after being wounded in Canada. The second is his discharge from the Royal Garrison Battalion in Chester in 1793.

What I'm trying to establish is, what Regiment was he serving with when he was injured in Canada, what action was it likely to have been in and where would I find any further records?

I've tried the usual suspects but they come up with the two that I already have. Seaching for the RGB on the web doesn't really help that much either!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Hi David - not sure I can help, but...

(1) TNA: I presume you have this record - WO 121/140/491 SAMUEL SNEYD Born [Not Known] Served in Garrison Battalion; Independent Company of Invalids Discharged aged [Not Known] after 12 years 6 months of service Residence or place where pension paid stated in document. If so, you will know whether it contains any regiment information

(2) The Canadian Military History Gateway http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/page-538-eng.asp While a lengthy list of the regiments that served in Canada, you should be able to whittle it down to a short list based on the date you have. (Query: might he have seen action in the American Revolutionary War 1775-1783?)

(3) this is off topic, but have you seen the Gazette - issue 12923 (20 Aug 1796) page 790 on (Samuel SNEYD is listed on page 792): it lists those commissioned as Captains in the East India Company's Forces

Comment

Thanks Bertie,

That's the other one I have but it doesn't list his previous Regiment which is a shame.

As for the Gazette, It's not the same Samuel but could be related, I'll look into that one.

Thanks

David

Comment

Working...
      X