Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mormon Centres - Research Facilities - how does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon Centres - Research Facilities - how does it work?

Have a good lead on one of my Rowlands! Thought, since I have all the IGI details, it may be worth searching at one of the above Centres. There isn't, it would appear, a functioning one near me but my sister lives in Crawley and there is an excellent one there (I have never used a Centre myself neither has she as far as I know.) Is there usually more info on the film than on the website?

What does she have to do? I presume the first visit would be to order the film. I understand we will have to pay for that. Do they then let you know the film has arrived and you make an appointment to go and view it? Haven't got a clue how it is done. Advice gratefully received.

Sue

Some info in our reference library which may help ..
    Elaine

Comment

This is probably more up to date Sue
      Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine. Online film ordering ?sounds good but ....... I have the film number i.e. GS Film number: 104784 but it is not recognised by Family Search online but the number came from their website! Sue

Comment

Am not a user of FamilySearch centres - hopefully someone can help here.
          Elaine

Comment

If your sister is going to the Centre locally then she can phone them and give the details and they will tell her what she needs to do.

Edna

Comment

In my experience the staff are always very helpful

Is it this?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Yes, that is it - thanks for that. Never used them, other than looking for results, before. Unfortunately the Mormon place in Kings Lynn is never open - have/had their phone no. and left message, have been there twice and it is closed - wonder if it is functioning any longer. The one where my sister will go (I haven't told her she is going yet!) is quite a big one in Crawley, West Sussex. Heres hoping - I notice the Garthbeibio one has "lots missing". This may explain why this chap just cannot be found.

Sue

Comment

That film number works when I search for it in the LDS catalog...https://familysearch.org/search/cata...umber%3A104784

Findmypast have Garthbeibio images and transcripts - might be worth looking there ?
                  Rick

Comment

Each centre has their own limited opening hours so you need to check online what they are. Once they receive the film they will let you know and you may have to book a reader depending on how busy the centre gets.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

The LDS London Family History Centre is currently housed at The National Archives at Kew - and is open the same hours as TNA. They have a huge stock of films, and you can check the stock on their website, so there may be no need to order them in advance. That may be a more effective place to visit than Crawley, and not that far away.

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Many thanks Anthony - I didn't know TNA had them - I would, however, defy anyone like me to fully get to grips with TNA site. Will give it a go!

Sue

Comment

The LDS Catalogue hasn't been amalgamated with the TNA Catalogue - it's entirely separate, so you don't need to worry about that! It's been very useful to me,having it at Kew, and, as Anthony says, they seem to have a very wide range of films on site
                          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that Ann. It should be a lot easier for me to go to TNA now .................I am hoping that Oxshot is nearish to Archives as youngest daughter has just moved there and has a spare room! The chap I am looking for has been an 8 year search so far and am determined to crack it - there appears to be no birth entry for him and I am not 100% sure where he was born but I think I may have found him as James Mills Rowlands baptised 22.5.1762, Garthbeibio, Montgomeryshire, Wales. His father may be Rowland Mills and his mother Sinah. Shall give it a go in the fullness of time................have memories of a rather nice sticky cake shop in Kew! My "ticket of access" or whatever it is called has now run out so I expect I will have to do the computer session again before I am let lose. If I already have FSOrg's printout on him is there much likelihood there would be more on him on the documents/films at Kew?

Sue
                            Last edited by Sue1; 19-05-15, 15:24.

Comment

Hi Sue. Do please check the film is actually held by The London Family History Centre (click on the link in post #11 and enter the film number in the box top left of the page) . I was going to post about this yesterday but decided not to when I entered your film number and came up with "no item found " (i.e. they don't have that film).

The good news otherwise is that you don't need your TNA ticket to be current as the films are located on the first floor in an area where card access is not necessary.

PS if the location is better for you you may be able to order the film for you to view it there once delivered from Utah
                              Last edited by Bertie; 19-05-15, 17:15.

Comment

Sue - did you see my comment on page 1 ? Findmypast has digitised that register. It says James Mills, son of Rowland Mills and Sinah.
                                Rick

Comment

I would think that Oxshott is about 20-25 miles from Kew, so not too bad. No cake shop near TNA - perhaps you mean near the station in Kew, somewhere?

Comment

Thanks Bertie, That is a bit disillusioning. Nothing going right at the mo! Never mind it can only get better.
                                    Thanks for letting me know. Sue

Comment

Thanks Ann, That at least is better than travelling from N.E. Cambs.
                                      I know the place by the station at Kew - usually a coffee stop BUT you cannot mean I have been deprived of a cake shop in Kew - it's all too much. Actually, it wasn't near Archives I now remember, it was in a High Street now I think about it - I think it must have been Kew High Street if there is one - we were staying in a hotel nearby for a couple of nights - no idea what it was called but have stayed a couple of times.

Sue

Comment

I'm concerned I may have turned into the invisible man

Can anyone actually see my replies ?
                                        Rick

Comment

Working...
                                        X