Police tax book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police tax book

I have found people in the index of The Police Tax Book for Dumfries, 1810/18 in the Dumfries Historical Directories on line.
    Does anyone know what these directories were and what they had to do with the police?

ps there's no description available on the web site.
    Last edited by Cath RJ; 18-05-15, 10:43.
    Cath.

It might be worth having a look at this website and get in touch with them

Vonny

Comment

Thanks, the archives are closed on Mondays so I'd hoped someone here might know something about them.
      Cath.

Comment

There's a brief mention here.
        Taking the form of two companion volumes, Police Courts in Nineteenth-Century Scotland represents the first major investigation into the administration, experience, impact and representation of summary justice in Scottish towns, c.1800 to 1892. Each volume explores diverse, but complementary, themes relating to judicial practices, relationships, experiences and discourses through the lens of the same subject matter: the police court. Volume 1, with the subtitle Magistrates, Media and the Masses, provides an institutional, social and cultural history of the establishment, development and practice of police courts. It explores their rise, purpose and internal workings, and how justice was administered and experienced by those who attended them in a variety of roles. Special attention is given to examining how courtroom discourse was represented in print culture, the role of the media in providing a discursive commentary on summary justice, and the ways in which magistrates and the police engaged in a law and order dialogue with the press. Throughout, consideration is given to uncovering the relationship between magistrates, the courts, the police and the wider community, and to charting the implications of the rise of summary justice and the ‘police-man’ state for the urban masses (as evidenced through prosecution, conviction and punishment patterns). Volume 2, with the subtitle Boundaries, Behaviours and Bodies, explores, through themed case studies, how police courts shaped conceptual, spatial, temporal and commercial boundaries by regulating every-day activities, pastimes and cultures.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Phil.
          Cath.

Comment

On the website link I gave you they do have the Police Tax Books 1810 - 1818 for the area you mentioned. I do hope you have some success finding out. I would have assumed that police tax book would have been used for recording fines etc?

Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
              And here is an extract from a report referring to Police tax. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...201810&f=false
              Looks to me as if it was a tax levied on households to pay for the policing of the area. (No national police force in those days).
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
              X