Mary Kelly - Rochdale to Ottawa 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Kelly - Rochdale to Ottawa 1888

Hi, I am a PhD student at Liverpool University and I am researching female drunkenness in Victorian Lancashire. One of my case studies, a Mary Kelly from Rochdale was brought before the magistrates over 100 times for drunkenness and other offences.

Mary emigrated to Ottawa in either 1888 or 1889 and lived there until her death in 1913. I’ve been able to find her on the Canadian census and also found her funeral report in the Ottawa Citizen. I was wondering if anyone on here has been doing research on the Kelly family or if they know someone who has. I’d love to find out more about her life in Canada and a photograph would be fantastic!

She was born in Athlone, Ireland in the mid-1830s and two of her children followed her to Canada; Edward who married Catherine and became a chef in Montreal and Annie, who became Mrs O’Connell.

I would be happy to share my research on her life in Rochdale. I appreciate it’s a long shot, as Kelly was/is such a common name but thought I’d try. If anyone thinks they can help and would like more info, please let me know.

Thanks,

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the Forum
    Usually the best way to find someone with a person in their tree is to check Ancestry trees for the name of the person you are researching, or Genes Re-United trees though doing that the person has to be still active in order to reply to your request.

Maybe someone in Canada might see this and help you with your research but its a bit early yet for Canada.

I hope you get some replies and maybe tomorrow I will check out Genes Re-United trees for her name and POB and DOB and if I see anything I will come back, interesting choice of Subject but back in time alcohol may have been more accessible than clean water and many Employers provided alcohol in the workplace as a liquid refreshment.

I hope you are offered more help from this Forum as the members are a very helpful crowd who can offer sound advice on how to proceed further.

Edna

Comment

Great, thanks for the pointers Edna.

Comment

Mary Kelly - is this her birth name or is this her married name? Just had a quick look on Ancestry and there are only 2 listed in Rochdale, one b. 1833 in Ireland and the other one is a marriage at St. Chads Rochdale to a James Finnan, b.1837 marriage 1855. This is the only one I can find with a criminal record but it's for larceny at the age of 14.

This is the only tree which has a Mary Kelly in Ontario, but she died 1917.

Vonny

Comment

I have baby Grandaughter sleeping over tonight so not had time to check her out so will try tomorrow.

Edna

Comment

This is the federal census for 1880, includes Patrick Kelly and Wife Mary Kelly, with children, one named Edward. They also appear on the 1861 census in Rochdale.

Vonny

Comment

Sorry, not the 1861 but the 1871 census http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=4
              Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                I have baby Grandaughter sleeping over tonight so not had time to check her out so will try tomorrow.

Edna
                Edna. are you still cuddling and cooing over that baby! So jealous!
                Vonny

Comment

Vonny she is two and a half and had me up at 5am you could have taken over from me then, she is my Great Grandaughter.
                  The avatar is her Mum at the age of 18 making faces at me.
                  I checked the GR trees and no one of the name with the POB, far too many just Ireland though I was offered 300 of the name within a ten year range so a needle in a haystack, I wish I could have done more to help.

Edna

Comment

Oh, I bet she is so sweet and cute even though she is an early riser - I would have taken over no bother, always up at 4.00a.m. to let the dogs and cat out - they are early risers too!
                    I know what you mean about the Kelly name. Lots and lots, the only close one I came across from Rochdale I have listed.
                    Vonny

Comment

Hi both,

Thanks very much for your help and advice on this. I'll have a look through the links that you've posted. I really had to pick someone called Kelly from Ireland didn't I!

Cheers,

Craig.

Comment

It would be interesting to us all to know why you chose this topic and person for your Thesis instead of a person with an unusual surname and first name, did you have an interest in Family History before you started and have you a connection to her.

We have a wonderful Reference Library which may help you in your quest http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...-how-to-guides

Edna
                        Last edited by clematised; 18-05-15, 00:41.

Comment

I came across her by accident in the newspapers and she got so much coverage that she seemed to be (and is!) an interesting case. Just a shame that she didn't have a more unusual name. I have no connection to her but I have done some of my own family history, although tend to leave it to my mum!

Comment

Working...
                          X