Richard Jex - 1848 age 61 Prison for Larceny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Jex - 1848 age 61 Prison for Larceny

In 1848 at the Quarter Sessions of Beccles Court Richard Jex was sentenced to six months imprisonment for Larceny. I have seen somewhere that this prison was at Woodbastwich(k), Suffolk. This place does not appear to exist.
    Has it been mistranscribed/misspelt by any chance? It is not on the actual ancestry entry but the hint comes up under this place.

Has anyone heard of it?
    Last edited by Sue1; 14-05-15, 09:23.

If you scroll down this page Sue you will fine a couple of records for genealogy that might be useful? Newspapers covering Woodbastwick and Court and Legal Records.

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-05-15, 10:04.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hello Sue
      There is a Woodbastwick in Norfolk. Could this be the one you are looking for?

Comment

Charity: Many thanks - I think I was confused because the hearing for his larceny offence was in Beccles and he was imprisoned in WOODBASTICH!
        It is the Woodbastwick in Norfolk although I cannot prove he was there except from the Beccles, Suffolk, hearing.

Chrissie: Forebears is an incredibly helpful site especially as I am giving Norfolk a good working over with all the family that were there.
        I never did get into the Newspapers bit - in fact I missed it altogether .................will have another look. Have added this website under favourites so I can re-refer to it easily.

There is one other thing I am curious about. Little Plumstead in Norfolk is, further back, referred to as Plumstead Parva - presumably "Parva" is latin and my OH (who sickenly managed to get an A level with distinction - many years ago) says he doesn't know what "Parva" means but it doesn't mean "little". At a guess I would say "part of" but that really is just a guess...................anyone know?

Sue

Comment

My recollection is that Parva means small, eg in Suffolk there is Thornham Magna and Thornham Parva - meaning great and small Thornham

update - small rather than smaller as I first thought.
          see here:
          Last edited by JudithM; 14-05-15, 11:53.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Many thanks Judith - that would be logical as there are obviously two parts to Plumstead, Norfolk - small rather than little then!

Comment

Adjective
              parvus m (feminine parva, neuter parvum);
              Meaning:
              small, little, cheap
              unimportant

Used in conjunction with Magna meaning great as in Great Plumstead and Little Plumstead aka Plumstead Magna and Plumstead Parva.

I see you got there before me , Judith. My slow typing
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 14-05-15, 12:00.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Katarzyna - many thanks also. Sue

Comment

There is a list about about prisoners being sentenced in this paper, Richard to 3 mths

Norfolk Chronicle 08 January 1848

Richard Jex, 61, waterman of Norwich, for stealing, at Lowestoft, two pieces of fir timber, the property of Jas. Lucas, and another; to be imprisoned three months
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Elaine, Thank you so much for that. I wondered what he had done but didn't expect to find out since the record I found just said "larceny". I didn't even know he was a Waterman.

Sue

Comment

Oh good, wasn't sure if you had it
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                      X