Query about a birth certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about a birth certificate

My friend asked.. is it possible to have the father removed from the birth certificate? As he says he thought he remembered years ago the fathers name on was on it then the Copy didn't have it included

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 11-05-15, 16:55.

See this pdf for the answer.
    "Do I need to prove that the birth certificate is wrong?
    You will need to prove that the man currently named on the certificate is not the natural father of the child. You will have to produce a recognised DNA test report or a court order which either excludes the man named of the
    certificate from paternity or confirms the name of the true biological father. You should also send a copy of the ."child’s birth certificate with your application"
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

What date is the certificate in question, Linda? If it is historical a mistake might have been made in producing the copy, although it would be a pretty drastic mistake!
      Anne

Comment

....and of course, short certs do not have the parents names on them anyway.

OC

Comment

It's recent 1978. Someone who I know is searching for his Dad and swears that his Father's name was on his birth certificate that he saw when he was about 16. He sent for a copy and it isn't.

I have seen the certificate and under the 'Father' section where it says name, place of birth and occupation there are three long lines

I was of the opinion that he was mistaken but he swears it's true!!!!
          Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 11-05-15, 20:11.

Comment

Linda

AHEM! We have heard more than once on here and other forums about shall we say, extra information put onto a birth certificate - in biro, pencil, green ink and anything else you can think of which gives the game away. In other words, someone in the family doctored the certificate and unless you are FH sleuths like us, most people wouldn't realise because you see what you are expecting to see!

The way to check is to look at the original registration in the indexes. If it is INDEXED in two names then his father's name was on the cert. If it was INDEXED in his mother's name only, then his father's name was not on the cert. (I am assuming his parents were not married).

OC

Comment

You can have the father's name removed/changed but it is something that can only be done on the authority of the Registrar General and significant evidence would have to be submitted to support the application ( at least a statutory declaration with some corroboration or probably a court finding re paternity and/or a DNA test) together with an explanation of why the error was made in the first place. Wanting his name removed after a divorce/relationship breakdown is not a sufficient reason.

This would be dealt with under the process for a correction of an "error of fact" and once authority has been given a marginal note would be added to the original registration. I am pretty sure that such a marginal note would also be reproduced on any subsequent certificate (although that is subject to the direction of the Registrar General).
              Last edited by AntonyM; 12-05-15, 00:18.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks everyone

Linda

Comment

I am 91!according to records. But remain a healthy 35 due to a picture in my attic which does the wrinkly process for me
                  Len of the Chilterns passed away July 2021

Comment

Does your BC give your name as Dorian, perhaps?
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                    X