never give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never give up

after doing so much family research in the last two years, i began to get frustrated at not being able to find out anymore.
    was all ready to take a break from it when the next day i recieved a message via ancestry from someone on behalf of there friend.
    they gave me quite alot of info and informed me of someone on facebook who they were sure was family.
    got in contact and from there all i can say is WOW.we have been chatting for days and exchanging pics and also been introduced to several other family members.
    i sent photos which had no writted detail and a few now have names :-). i have also seen pics of family member ive only had a picture of in my head. now they are real..
    total amazing where you find things i am elated as are the family i am now in contact with.
    amazing and never give up i never will now :-)

Oh brilliant! I know the feeling of seeing photos of people I never thought I would AND of seeing photos of people I didn't know existed.

Only a week ago I made a small breakthrough on my tree,on something which has been bugging me and my brother (and my late father) for over 40 years. I was idly surfing through my tree looking at far flung branches when suddenly a penny dropped and a mystery was solved. I had had the marriage in my tree for many many years but had never realised the significance of the very ordinary names!

OC

Comment

it really is the greatest feeling :-). my nana left stevenage in the 1950s and left two sisters behind not only have i found them both i have found out so much with pictures also.
      i may have been away from my family but finally the jigsaw is getting completed :-). happy for you also..love geneology...finding things in the strangest of places. good luck with finding so much more

Comment

A great result for you Jammin........I need to restart my own research again.....
        Jacky

Comment

OC, I've had that sort of thing too. I get a gut feeling about some part of my tree and eventually have the triumph of proving my theory correct. Wonderful, even if no one else appeciates it!
          Anne

Comment

And of course new records and resources are constantly being added on-line. The problem is now becoming one of trying to keep up with the latest developments.
            I often do blanket research of "new resources," just entering a surname (but not Smith lol!) and seeing where it takes me. I've been amazed at what missing events do pop up in this way, and the great thing about FMP is that each search indicates which transcriptions or images you've already viewed and so can eliminate from the results list.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              And of course new records and resources are constantly being added on-line. The problem is now becoming one of trying to keep up with the latest developments.
              I often do blanket research of "new resources," just entering a surname (but not Smith lol!) and seeing where it takes me. I've been amazed at what missing events do pop up in this way, and the great thing about FMP is that each search indicates which transcriptions or images you've already viewed and so can eliminate from the results list.

Jay
              What a great idea, Jay.......must have a go at that!!
              Jacky

Comment

Jay

That's how my latest breakthrough came, by looking at a previously unpublished church membership roll(Now on LANOPC). I had seen the bmds for this church many years ago but had ignored (or maybe discounted) the church roll at that time because I hadn't realised it would be so relevant. I also didn't have some of the pieces of the puzzle at the point when I originally looked at the church records.

OC

Comment

I think there are times when one has to take some of the information that you find in places like Ancestry with a grain of salt. Only the other day I had a partial tree of my family
                  which states that my father died in 1976. Strange that I have his death certificate which says he died in 1952. Wonder where some of these people get their information from.
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I only look at the trees for a laugh, David!
                    It is true to say that with so many new records being made easily available there are always chances to find new stuff out with proper records.
                    Anne

Comment

I quite often depair when I see other people's trees on Ancestry and I wonder what goes on in their minds when they are copying down absolutely senseless drivel.

I have a relative who was called Benjamin Sayle. Ancestry transcribed him (for reasons best know to themselves) as PRENGA JAGLA. Now, I don't know about you, but when I see such an unusual and unlikely name slap bang in the middle of MY family, I look at the image. It clearly (to me, who was looking for him) said Benjamin Sayle. Everyone else just blindly copied this ludicrous name without batting an eyelid.

OC

Comment

Good way to go Anne! As you say the wheat from the chaff can be easily sorted, must admit with my fathers death bit I did find the death dates of a couple of my cousins

in Jersey which had eluded me.
                        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

it's lovely when we get that all important break thru isn't it :smilee:
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

it really is amazing.but im always left wanting more.x i have wrote this post three times as wasnt showing up. so apoligie
                            s if it is duplicated.xx

Comment

Working...
                            X