Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index only record .......

....on Ancestry, what does it mean?

I've found a few tips, lately, when I click on it to look at the hint, that is what it says.

Thank you all.

Amanda:o

Basically, just an index or transcription of the record - no image available.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine, what a shame theres nothing to see :(

Amanda

Comment

What was it you were looking at - sometimes you may find an image elsewhere.
        Elaine

Comment

I emailed Ancestry about their 'index only files' and I received an email with the following:-

Some of the records we have on our site have been changed to index only records. The reason is, we had contracts with the Archive Holders of the records, and when we attempted to renew that contract with them, they declined. Because of this, we can only show the indexing we have done of the record, and not the actual image.

In another email they said:- Depending on the agreement we have with the archives themselves we may not have permission to provide the original document. If you would like to order a copy of the original document then you will need to get in touch with the source of this record.

This means that if you want to know if the record your looking at is one you want, you have to order a copy, I won't do that as I refuse to pay for copies that may not be the correct ones, I like to see proper detail before I order anything.

Then in another email they said that the above wasn't true, yet I have it 'in writing' and some of the indexes records I used to be able to see before.

Comment

I also have seen, and have saved, the images of records now shown only as "index only files" ...... but this is explained if, as they say in the message that PDennis got ......

"The reason is, we had contracts with the Archive Holders of the records, and when we attempted to renew that contract with them, they declined. Because of this, we can only show the indexing we have done of the record, and not the actual image."
            That means they could show the image before while the contract was still valid, but now cannot as they are no longer paying the Archive Holders.

They can show the Index because Ancestry themselves were responsible for doing that and so they own it.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

How do you know who the Archive Holders are if you want a copy?
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

Doesn't it tell you who the archive holders are when you click on the "Index only" bit?

PDennis - You must have problems with bmd certificates then, as they are always Index only and you cannot see the details until you have bought them! My files are full of incorrect certificates.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, I will check next time one comes up
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

According to Ancestry:- When looking at the index you will see the source directly below this.

OC - I never had problems before, I could always see the details and know that I would be ordering the correct certificate, so luckily I have the main bmd's that I wanted at the moment, but I am waiting for someone to give me more information about missing members of the family and might have a problem then.

I might move from Ancestry and go to MyHeritage, haven't decided yet.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help and the additional information.

Elaine, I was looking to check on a possible births and christenings record (1538-1975) for my 3x great grandmother

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post

Elaine, I was looking to check on a possible births and christenings record (1538-1975) for my 3x great grandmother
                        Those records have been sourced from Family Search and originate from the IGI or Vital Records Index collections.
                        Depending on the area/county you may find other websites have indexed and digitised the relegant parish registers.
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
                          Thank you everyone for your help and the additional information.

Amanda
                          You could post the record details on the Archives Request section, and see if anyone can retrieve it for you. Even the film number (usually included if it's a familysearch index) can be useful. You could also request that film for a small fee to the Family Search library nearest you.

Comment

Working...
                          X