Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to start

Hi,

I've been pondering and looking for info on my grandads family for ages and not getting very far. He didn't know who his father was and he had his mothers surname. I know he had at least 2 siblings but i believe there may have been another sister. 1 sister was alive at his funeral in 2010 and called violet, I have no idea if she married at all. I cant even find a birth for her!

Grandad also had a 1st marriage and 3 sons from it but again I cant find anything that links to him, 1 son was last known in Australia in the 1970s. would anyone be able to help me out please?

Grandad was Stanley Archibald Powell b 27 july 1915 in ely, died sept 2010 peterboruogh. His mother was Lilly or Lillian (have info on both names) born 1898 in burnt fen ely and died in 1970 in great yarmouth - she was still under name of powell, but my Nan said she believes she did get married at onepoint - (wont give me anymore info on family). Her parents were William powell and tabitha Dorling. His siblings are Violet (unknown dates), Gordon S powell born 1917 Ely.

any help on finding his first marriage and children or a possible marriage for his mother and info on sister be great. thanks
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Just to check that a possible living person isn't being named am I right that Gordon S Powell is the Gordon Spencer Powell, born 18 June 1917 who died Q2 1995 in Cambridge?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Have you got Lily's death certificate? If not it may be a useful buy to see if a family member registered her death.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Are you sure that the death In Great Yarmouth is your Lily Amy? I have found a possible marriage in Ely in 1927 for a Lily M Powell and a death in Ely in June 1985 for a Lily M Overall. Her birth date is given as 25/4/1897 which would (almost) fit, apart from the slight difference in name, of a Lilan M Powell born in Ely Sept 1897. I can't see another birth in Ely which would fit with 'your' Lily/Lilian.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Another possibility for her birth.
          Lilian May Powell June 1898 Mildenhall 4a 830.
          Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            Are you sure that the death In Great Yarmouth is your Lily Amy? I have found a possible marriage in Ely in 1927 for a Lily M Powell and a death in Ely in June 1985 for a Lily M Overall. Her birth date is given as 25/4/1897 which would (almost) fit, apart from the slight difference in name, of a Lilan M Powell born in Ely Sept 1897. I can't see another birth in Ely which would fit with 'your' Lily/Lilian.
            Amy,
            Do you have the birth certificate for your Lily? In the 1901 and 1911 censuses there are differing accounts of her birthplace. 1901 - Burnt Yere, Suffolk (that's what it looks like to me - not sure about Yere, and couldn't find Burnt Yere as a place name when googling - perhaps someone else could have a look at it to decipher) 1911 gives birthplace as Littleport, Cambridgeshire.
            Two possible birth registrations therefore are:
            Lily M Powell, q3 1897 Ely 3b 520a or
            Lilian May Powell registered in q2 1898 Mildenhall, Suffolk
            According to the death registration for Lily May Powell who died in Yarmouth in 1970, her DOB was 20 July 1898. However, depending on how accurate the DOB on the death registration is, this 1898 Mildenhall birth registration is a quarter too early. Do you know who the informant was for the 1970 death? It could be they were out by a year re DOB so the Ely 1897 q3 could be the one...
            Like Chrissie, I found the possible 1927 marriage reg q4 Ely 3b 1428 where Lily M Powell married Thomas Overall. (Gosh - a real Mrs Overall - I loved Acorn Antiques!)
            I looked for possible Overall births with MMN Powell but got no results but didn't think to follow through on deaths as Chrissie did...
            So nothing quite matches conclusively...

Christine
            See you beat me to it on the Mildenhall reg, Moggie!
            Last edited by Karamazov; 06-05-15, 12:26.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

yes gordon s is gordon spencer. my grandad gave me his mothers name and said she went by lilly and lillian (not much much help) and year of birth as 1898.

the marriage you have found would link with what my nan said about her possibly getting married, i only had the death at yarmouth down as the "marriage" wasn't definate and i had not been able to find one, nor had i found another death that matched. bothe the found marriage and death would certainly be worth looking into.

the area is burnt fen in cambridgeshire/suffolk/mildenhall (depends on who you ask).

i've not got any certs for lily/lilan as i'm not in a position to be buying "wrong ones".

thank you for the above, gives me something to start working on.
              **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X