Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a difference a Dade makes (for those with Yorkshire ancestry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference a Dade makes (for those with Yorkshire ancestry)

I'd forgotten how brilliant a source the Yorkshire Dade registers could be, until I came across this 1779 bp entry this morning.

John Pegg, second son of William Pegg ......... (and his wife) Elizabeth, daughter of John Abel of High Akister, farmer, by Jane his wife, daughter of Robert Tanfield of High Akister aforesaid, farmer born 27 Feb 1779, baptised 1 March 1779.

As John above was recorded as second son, I thought I'd try to find the first son - this is what was recorded in 1776 in the same bp register:

William, son of William Pegg bp 25 Feb

I had been hoping that the Elizabeth Abel who married William Pegg was a sister of my ancestor Robert Abel (son of John Abel & Jane Tanfield) - this PR entry for the bp of her second son has proved it.
    Sadly, Dade's recommendations of recording events were often not followed through for the full time span that they should have been; but I can see why a lot of the vicars probably got fed up of investigating and recording the full pedigrees.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Fantastic, aren't they! I sorted out a long standing problem family (loads of them with the same names) when I hit on a parish like this.
    Anne

Comment

The Dade system of recording was not only in Yorkshire, you can find similar registers in County Durham, Northumberland, Lancashire and a few in Berkshire, Devon, Essex, Surrey and Wiltshire.

The Rev Shute Barrington, Bishop of Salisbury instigated similar though simpler system than Dade's, which was taken up in Northumberland and Durham from 1798, when he became Bishop of Durham

Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Dade System - when looking for a name in a parish register how do I know if the parish register is part of the DADE system ??? New to all this and just finding my way around!!

Comment

You will know by the fact that the baptism entries (for example) have not only the parents of the child listed but also the grandparents, often where they are from too. It also list the order in the family that the child was born (eg 2nd son of ...)
          This system of recording was relatively short lived and the amount of detail depended entirely on who was doing the writing up. The very best ones have a full list of parents and grandparents for each record but this was clearly quite an onerous task for the recorder so many of them, quite soon reduced the detail.

You need to see the parish record image itself itself (or very thorough transcriptions) otherwise you might miss all the details. I have a list somewhere Of some of the parishes which did this. I'll go and se if I can find it.
          Anne

Hmm, sorry I seem to have lost it. To be honest, though, you don't need a list .... just be very, very thankful when you find your parish has some!
          Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 11-10-15, 14:37.

Comment

YORKSHIRE AINSTY (14)
            Acaster Malbis,
            Acomb
            Askham Bryan
            Bilbrough,
            Bishopthorpe
            Bolton Percy,
            Healaugh,
            Long Marston,
            Moor Monkton,
            Nether Poppleton,
            Rufforth,
            Thorp Arch,
            Walton in Ainsty
            Wighill

YORK (23)
            All Saints North Street,
            All Saints Pavement,
            Holy Trinity Goodramgate
            Holy Trinity King`s Court
            Holy Trinity Micklegate,
            St Crux (YPRS),
            St Cuthbert,
            St Denys with St George,
            St Helen Stonegate,
            St John Ousebridge,
            St Lawrence
            St Margaret Walmgate,
            St Martin Coney Street
            St Martin Micklegate,
            St Mary Bishophill junior
            St Mary Bishophillsenior,
            St Mary Castlegate
            St Maurice,
            St Michael le Belfrey,
            St Michael Spurriergate,
            St Olave
            St Sampson,
            St Saviour

YORKSHIRE EAST RIDING (46)
            Acklam & Leavening,
            Allerthorpe,
            Aughton
            Barlby,
            Barmby Moor,
            Barmston,
            Bishop Wilton
            Bubwith
            Catton,
            Copmanthorpe,
            Ellerton,
            Elvington,
            Escrick,
            Everingham,
            Fangfoss,
            Fulford,
            Garton on the Wolds,
            Great Givendale,
            Hayton,
            Hemingbrough
            Heslington (
            Holme on Spalding Moor,
            Huggate,
            Kirby Grindalythe,
            Kirby Underdale,
            Market Weighton,
            Millington,
            Naburn,
            North Cave,
            North Ferriby
            Pocklington,
            Riccall
            Sancton,
            Scrayingham,
            Seaton Ross,
            Sherburn in Hartford Lythe,
            Stillingfleet,
            Thorganby,
            Thornton on Spalding Moor,
            Ulrome,
            Weaverthorpe
            West Heslerton,
            Westow,
            Wetwang,
            Wheldrake,
            Yapham

> YORKSHIRE NORTH RIDING (33)
            > *Alne, *Bossall, Bowes (YPRS), *Brafferton, *Brandsby, Castle Bolton,
            > *Coxwold (YPRS), *Crayke, *Easingwold (YPRS), *Farlington, *Gate
            > Helmsley, *Haxby, *Hovingham, *Huntington, *Husthwaite, *Huttons Ambo,
            > Kirkbymoorside, *Marton cum Moxby, *New Malton, *Old Malton,
            > *Osbaldwick, *Overton, *Raskelf (YPRS), Scruton (YPRS), *Skelton,
            > Stainton, *Stillington, *Stockton on Forest, *Strensall, *Thormanby,
            > Topcliffe, *Warthill, *Wigginton

> YORKSHIRE WEST RIDING 42)
            > *Aberford (Thoresby), Ackworth, Addingham (YPRS), Adel (Thoresby),
            > Airmyn, Armthorpe, Badsworth, Bardsey, Barnby Dunn, Barwick in Elmet,
            > Batley (HFHS), Bolton Abbey, Braithwell (YPRS), *Bramham, *Brayton,
            > *Carlton juxta Snaith (YPRS), *Cawood, *Church Fenton, *Drax, Farnley,
            > Fishlake, Giggleswick, Hatfield, Headingley, Kirk Broweth, Kirkburton,
            > *Monk Fryston, *Newton Kyme, Owston (YPRS), Pannal, Pudsey, *Ryther,
            > *Saxton in Elmet (YPRS), *Selby, *Sherburn in Elmet, Skipton,
            > Spofforth, Swillington (YPRS), *Tadcaster, Wath on Dearne, Wentworth,
            > *Wistow

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 11-10-15, 17:09.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay and Anne thank you for the info and Wow! I shall keep this list it could come in very useful Great..... Thank you
              Van

Comment

Ah yes, Barmby Moor! Sorted out my SMITH family, would you believe.

Quite a few noncon registers used the Dade system too and I have one register (the Merovingian church) where the clerk recorded births deaths and marriages for everyone in the congregation, cross referencing the entries. He also gave potted biographies. The back of the register contains "family groups" which have never been transcribed.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X