Great news if you're researching Irish Catholic ancestors - part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news if you're researching Irish Catholic ancestors - part 2

Woo-hoo - just 10 weeks to go! Following on from my earlier thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...olic-ancestors!
    the launch date for the Catholic Parish Register Digitisation Project has just been announced earlier today: the NLI's collection of Catholic Parish register microfilms will be made freely available online on a dedicated website from Wednesday 8 July 2015.

From my experience of laboriously trawling through the microfilms in Dublin, the parish registers include information such as the dates of baptisms and marriages, and the names of the key people involved, eg parents' names on baptisms, fathers' names on marriages, godparents or witnesses - but not always - sometimes the record keeping leaves a lot to be desired in terms of completeness and legibility. Plus, as noted in the earlier thread, you may have to contend with faded ink, stained and blackened paper, spidery handwriting etc and brush up on some basic Latin - although that's usually pretty straightforward, as the wording usually follows set forms.The digitisation is of the images on microfilm rather than the original registers so I am not sure how much they will have been able to clean them up, if at all.

NB The digital images of the registers will be searchable by parish location only, and will not be transcribed or indexed by the NLI so you will need to know where your ancestors hailed from.

Still, despite the caveats above, it's still brilliant news - freely available without the expense of a trip to Dublin, the chance to revisit the records for all the stuff you inevitably miss first time round, hopefully also the ability to print out and save records - what's not to like?
    There's more info in the NLI press release here:

The countdown begins...

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 29-04-15, 14:19.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

looks good cannot wait now thanks

Comment

Great news. Thank you for the information.

Comment

Oh....Great news!!

Thanks Christine.
        Jacky

Comment

My husband's side of the family is on hold until these records appear! Sue

Comment

Thanks for the update. Might yet solve some of my mysteries as I rarely get to Dublin these days!

Janet

Comment

Great news.
              Pity about being the parish location only as all I know is that my maternal grandparents came from Co Mayo. Anyway it will give me something to do to trawl through all the parishes!

Beverley
              Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
                Great news.
                Pity about being the parish location only as all I know is that my maternal grandparents came from Co Mayo. Anyway it will give me something to do to trawl through all the parishes!

Beverley
                Ditto, but for Co Galway!

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Best news I've had all week.
                  Thanks for this.
                  Geoff

Comment

Bless their little hearts , parish only hurts , all I know is County Clare ------but its a start
                    Brianman [ from OZ ]

Comment

Working...
                    X