If anyone has time .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone has time .

Going through my trees now trying to find those Id abandoned in the past Bear with me as its may be 10 years since I looked at this chap who is a direct ancestor on my dads side.

This chap is Richard Foalster born c. 1819 - he appears in 1841 aged 22 (Im assuming this must be his actual age as no rounding down has occurred there). He appears as Richard Falster and there is a bit of a variation on his name in the census - he is always in the Old Brentford/ealing area - on one census the family were even misnamed as Hope for some reason - other times, Flaster, Foulster, Foster even. He is a baker mostly.

The marriage cert in 1839 he appears to have signed as Foalster or Foalstere, father Richard, labourer. His death is in Old Brentford in 1862.

But I can only find one baptism for a Richard Foulster which is 1814 (and does have a dad called Richard and mum Ann) and in east London, further there is a death for what looks like that baby only a year later.

Its an unusual name. I cant find others with it accept in the isles of scotland according to my tree info of a decade ago. I just had a quick scan again of family search and the only Foalster or Falsters are from Denmark or Germany?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Found Richard, Jane and children on the 1861 census, but, unhelpfully, for POB it says "N.K."

Have you found Richard snr on any census?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Hi, many thanks - I do have the census for all the years they are married from 1841 til 61 but the big problem is finding his baptism and his parents.

No sign of a right baptism year for him or any siblings :( His place of birth varies on census from NK to Middlesex and his wife from Gloucestershire to Middlesex so not a lot of help really.

Comment

There's a marriage in Stepney in 1792 between a Richard Foulger, widower and Sarah Hicks, widow. They anything to do with your lot?

STG

Comment

Dont think so

Comment

Sorry, that should have read Foalster. Does that make a difference?

STG
            Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 26-04-15, 17:19.

Comment

Bless you - the only one I have found with the name is Richard Foalster with a wife called ann baptising a Richard but 5 years before the year date given in all census :( It may well be some connection though. Very kind of you to help. Im just amazed there arent more people with that name.

Comment

Thats odd, mind you as we know, depends on who gives the information, doesnt it. And the name appears to end in an "n" rather than r - did you notice? Hmm

Comment

Rev Thompson's final n doesn't look much like the final letter of Richard's surname, which looks a bit more like an r to me.

Still, if it's not "your" Richard, that would mean that we have to find another good match and nothing else seems to be coming up for me.

STG

Comment

The name Foulster is a it more fruitful. Just looking at a death of an eliza aged 20 in the non conformist burials east london. Thank you Much appreciate your kind input xx

Update - just seen your post. If you look at the r in Neighbour below Richard and the n in Brentford you can see. But then, I guess if no one could write (his wife gave her mark at the wedding)..... If that is him and I have no reason not to think it isnt - then either they got his age wrong on a guess or its right in which case he lied all his married life? Possible I guess - if so, then may be it IS him being baptised in east london
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 26-04-15, 19:01.

Comment

DOH, I see I made a note to that effect on the tree 10 years ago. LOL. May be I should just accept it must be him then and he didnt want to seem so old to his younger wife. Grateful for your help in getting me to focus/remember. But I am now back to where I was 10 years ago, not knowing where his parents are from.

Comment

I wonder if its an Irish name.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                          But I am now back to where I was 10 years ago, not knowing where his parents are from.
                          Oh dear. That's not good :(

Feel guilty now :(

STG

Comment

Oh NO, please dont feel guilty - I have got focussed because of your help. Many thanks indeed. I think I see why I abandoned this lot before though. Im now seeing why I have all these loose ends with these and others.

BUT Please, no, I am more than grateful for your help and for acting as a sounding board. Id forgotten Id covered this ground before. Im often amazed how much I did back then, though I do remember being totally obsessed and staying up half the night every night working on the tree.

Sadly unless some new records come available I think my Horsteads, Dixons, Taylors and Foalsters are doomed to be banging on a brick wall for eternity But Im really very grateful for you helping me to remember about this lot...........It could have escaped me for weeks without your help xxx
                            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 26-04-15, 20:16.

Comment

You're very kind

In cases like this, I feel that we're in a kind of corridor of uncertainty (it's a cricketing term about the batsman not quite knowing whether to play forward or back) where we have a few odds and ends, but can't quite join the dots :(

Bit trite but... new records coming on-line all the time, so don't give up with him, just put him to one side in a Pending file We've all got dozens of peeps in our pending files - apart from those peeps who know they are descended from Adam and Eve, of course ;)

STG

Comment

Yes, Ive had times when I thought I was dead ended then suddenly something comes out of the blue - the most incredible was some years back when dead ended on the acton lot and I was contacted by the then Lord Actons nephew who was doing a book on the actons and had traced ME down - wonderful, like winning the lottery that was

I have got pending people but when they are direct ancestors rather than twigs it rankles doesnt it.
                                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 27-04-15, 15:07.

Comment

Its always good to revisit problem areas of family because new records appear online all the time and one time it might just be YOUR family's record!
                                  Anne

Comment

Working...
                                  X