Getting my ancestry tree downloaded to my FTM program on my PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my ancestry tree downloaded to my FTM program on my PC

How many times over the years have I done this BUT, having not done any research for over a year really, I cannot remember how to get all my updates I add on ancestry automatically added to my FTM 2011. Help please - I know it was reasonably simple but for the life of me.............

TREE PAGES (drop down menu) >> TREE SETTINGS >> MANAGE YOUR TREE (on right hand side) >> EXPORT TREE
    That will download a GEDCOM file to your computer which you can then import into FTM.

Might be worth treating yourself to a copy of FTM2012 or FTM2014 because with those versions you can synchronise the tree on Ancestry and the one on FTM to automatically update whenever you have added new data to either of them. With the earlier versions of the program the only means of transfer is via GEDCOM which is data only, so any photos attached will not be transferred.
    Elaine

Comment

I was told at the WDYTYA that the 2014 (World) is the last version that will be in a box - from now on it'll be a download whether that applies to all the Family Tree Makers or just that one and whether it will still include the free subs.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

The way I do it is ...

From FTM click on the New Tree tab
        Then select Download from Ancestry
        and when the list of your trees appears, click on Export for the one you want

HTH
        STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Many thanks everyone. I could have sworn it used to add changes automatically..........I dont know, going loopy.

Ive done your method smalltown it seemed easier but its still on 99% completed after 20 minutes - not sure if that means its not working . I will hang on a bit longer.

Comment

Many thanks everyone. I could have sworn it used to add changes automatically..........I dont know, going loopy.

Ive done your method smalltown it seemed easier but its still on 99% completed after 20 minutes - not sure if that means its not working . I will hang on a bit longer.

Comment

Done Many thanks - will now attempt to add it to this site I may be some time.........................

Comment

your also repeating yourself the new version that synchronises is really good Heather

Comment

Hi val, dont know how I managed that - told you Im going doolally. Been to hairdresser - I gave up on trying to make a gedcome to put on here. I followed the 2010 FTM details on here for my 2011 - got it all loaded but it sort of fell apart when I was supposed to give it a save as and also a ged ending. I didnt have the opportunity to do it - it just made a file and that was it then I couldnt find it or open it. LOL. Bet you are glad Im back.

Comment

Heather - there is a "how to create a GEDCOM" guide (with pictures !!) which might help you.
                    It was created for FTM 2010 but there probably isn't too much difference between that and FTM 2011.

or this one ..
                    Elaine

Comment

.. and then "How to upload GEDCOM to FTF"
                      Elaine

Comment

Done it Thanks for your help Elaine and all x

Comment

glad your sorted now

Comment

If you have a tree on Ancestry and Family Tree Maker, all you need to do is link them together and they will automatically update each time you log out. To do this from Family Tree Maker, in Plan make sure you are on the tree you want to link to Ancestry and then click on the Upload and Link to Ancestry in the middle section under Tree Sync Via Ancestry. The name of the Ancestry Tree will come up in a field at the top of the box (if you have more than one tree, they should all be listed and you can choose) and then you just need to follow the rest of the instructions.
                            Last edited by PDennis; 25-04-15, 19:07.

Comment

Heather is using FTM 2011 - I dont think the sync option came in until the 2012 version.
                              Elaine

Comment

Working...
                              X