Windows updates yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows updates yesterday

I installed these yesterday, today I had lots of trouble so checked for issues, it found

Some security settings were missing

Corrupt Files

Service registration missing or corrupt

Windows update environment variables were incorrect

Corrupt Patch Registry Keys

Would this all be due to the updates ?? seems odd

Hello Val,
    I read your thread early evening and glad that I did. About 22.00hrs Windows downloaded something and suddenly my screen went black a photograph from My Pictures came from nowhere. At 1.30 am I had done a system restore and got things back don't know how but went to bed. I have been worried all day about putting this thing on. Anyway it seems OK except I have just had another download saying 52 of 52 and the word registry has appeared again. I am going away now to sit in a dark room with G&T will be back about 22.00hrs to see what is going on.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Can't work it out, had 11 updates two days ago on my lappy and a further 22 yesterday. Rather a lot for that time period. Everything is working normally though.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

that sounds bad Margaret ?hope you sort it, Grumpy I was amazed how many updates I got .

Comment

What i do after Windows Updates is run a scan with my anti virus & Malwarebytes. I know it wont fix technical faults caused by the updates, its just a precaution against any possible virus or malware that might have come with the updates. As to the amount of updates, on Thursday 16th April i had 14 updates, after downloading/installing i shut the computer down, rebooted and saw that i had a further 2 updates.

Comment

luddy I have never thought about updates bringing a virus or malware with them? do hope not

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              luddy I have never thought about updates bringing a virus or malware with them? do hope not
              Hi Val, the only reasons i scan after the updates is that about 3/4 years ago some programme call Flame attached itself to Windows Updates by using Microsoft certificates, i think it was some type of Trojan. The link to the article is below. Also there was a Windows 7 update last year which disabled Windows Defender. I think all these were patched later but im just being cautious, maybe over cautious.
              Using rogue security certificates, the virus is able to exploit Microsoft's Windows Update service to infect unsuspecting computers.

Comment

thanks for that luddy I hadn't heard about it , dont think you can be over cautious

Comment

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

thats interesting Trevor ? I've just noticed AOL have taken over my home page ??

Comment

Thanks for that Trevor, there were 6 optional updates for my Windows7 64 bit

Comment

Working...
                      X