Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find child's name...

May be a forlorn hope but here goes:
    This male child was 1 month old at the time of the 1871 census and still unnamed. I can't find the family 10 years later - think they must have gone back to Mauritius by then as father died there in Dec 1882 and an older daughter married there in early 1883.
    All I have to go on is this newspaper announcement:
    WEST.- March 2, at Portsdown-gardens, Maida-hill, W., the wife of T. W. West, Esq., of a son.

Father was Thomas Wade West and mother was Caroline Frances, nee Palmer.

So to try and get a bit further forward with possible names, what registration district would this address come under in 1871?

Thanks,
    Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 09-04-15, 19:11.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

??????????????

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906

Herbert Ellis Wade West
    Baptism Date: 10 May 1871
    Thomas Wade West
    Caroline Frances West
    St Marylebone St Mark
    Westminster
    Parish Registers

from image:-

Address:- 73 Portadown Gardens (??Portsdown)
    Father occupation:- Gentleman
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

also in those same records ............

Constance Maud West
      Baptism Date:- 19 May 1868
      Thomas Wade West
      Caroline Frances West
      St Marylebone St Mark
      Westminster
      Parish Registers

Evelyn Geraldine West
      Baptism Date:- 11 Jun 1872
      Thomas Wade West
      Caroline Frances West
      St Marylebone St Mark
      Westminster
      Parish Registers

same address and occupation on both
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

and

Births Jun 1871 (>99%)
        West Herbert Ellis W Kensington 1a 6

Comment

Do you have this Incoming Passenger information??

They must be related!!

Thomas Wade West
          Birth Date: abt 1924
          Port of Departure: Calcutta, India
          Arrival Date: 4 Apr 1927
          Port of Arrival: London, England
          Ship Name: City of Exeter
          Shipping line: Ellerman Line
          Official Number: 136297

Travelling with
          Lena Wade West, age 36, Address:- Highgrove, Queen's Park, Caterham, Surrey
          Herbert Wade West age (??? 1 or 11)

Comment

Hi Sylvia,
            Thanks for cracking this in less than 20 mins - impressed! Plus thanks for the extra info re Evelyn - didn't know of her existence.
            I'd narrowed the unnamed male child down to two in Kensington, one of whom was Herbert, but then suddenly thought (hence the original post) that I shouldn't just assume a Kensington reg just because elder sister Constance's birth was registered there. They are at 73 Portsdown Gardens in the 1871 census.
            I'm guessing the later travel record might be a child of Herbert's if he married someone called Lena or possibly even a grandchild.. (Or possibly even the child/grandchild if there was another brother born after Evelyn???) More digging will have to wait until week though as a I have a busy weekend ahead.
            Thanks again.
            Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Erm...Lena is surely a diminutive of Caroline!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Erm...Lena is surely a diminutive of Caroline!

OC
                I think Lena can be a given name in its own right - eg as with Lena Horne, Lena Headey to name just two off the top of my head...
                However, as you say, worth bearing in mind that it could be a diminutive of Caroline, Evelina, Helena, Adeline, Madeline etc - I'm sure there are a few more possibles...
                Christine
                Researching:

Comment

Christine .......

you're very welcome!!

re Lena ................... OH had an gt aunt by marriage always called Lena ........... it was short for Paulina.

It took me ages to sort that one out! OH knew her, and just kept insisting "it's Lena"!

I couldn't even use children to work it out, as the couple didn't marry until they were in their 40s, and had no offspring!

Comment

Sorry, I didn't notice the date of the passenger list!

OC

Comment

Did Thomas Wade marry twice???

I noticed that some ancestry trees have him marrying a Frances Sophia Palmer in Mauritius in 1849, and that she apparently died in 1866 in London. They apparently had a son William Wade West ca 1855 in Mauritius.

I initially dismissed these as the usual errors, as there is a mix up by some people with a Thomas Wade West Digges.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                        Did Thomas Wade marry twice???

I noticed that some ancestry trees have him marrying a Frances Sophia Palmer in Mauritius in 1849, and that she apparently died in 1866 in London. They apparently had a son William Wade West ca 1855 in Mauritius.
                        Yes he did - 1st wife Frances Sophia Palmer and 2nd wife Caroline Frances Palmer were cousins. FS did indeed die in London 1866 and he married CF the following year. I was aware of two daughters by his first wife - both born in Mauritius, as they are both in the 1871 census with the rest of the family at Portsdown Road.
                        And get this - eldest daughter by first wife was Constance Grace - this name recurs (sometimes as Constant Grace) throughout the generations in various branches of this family, but why on earth would you give 2 living daughters the same first name? I've only ever come across this when the first child dies as an infant and the next child who comes along is given the same name. Must have led to some confusion round the house ("You talkin' to me?" to quote Robert de Niro), never mind when you're trying to disentangle the various Constances/Constants about 150 years later!

I don't have an ancestry sub currently but had a look at one of the public trees on ancestry whilst at the library this afternoon. The one I looked at was reasonably accurate although often unsourced so I'm prepared to go with William Wade West as a son of the first marriage (TWW's dad was also called William Wade West so seems logical) but would obviously prefer to see some independent evidence of his existence...The Mauritius info on the public tree I looked at includes precise dates of marriage etc but none of it is sourced.
                        Does anyone know of any Mauritius records online?

Christine
                        Last edited by Karamazov; 10-04-15, 20:58.
                        Researching:

Comment

I presume you have the notice of probate of Thomas Wade West's will??

Name: Thomas West
                          Probate Date: 1 Aug 1883
                          Death Date: 2 Dec 1882
                          Death Place: Mauritius
                          Registry: Principal Registry

Comment

Yes thanks. I went a bit mad with the free ancestry access to UK and Ireland records over the Easter weekend, saving as many records as possible to this tree...
                            Researching:

Comment

good idea!!!

I couldn't do without my ancestry sub .................

but I have to ask for help with FMP

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                                good idea!!!

I couldn't do without my ancestry sub .................

but I have to ask for help with FMP
                                I have an FMP UK sub currently (and World for another 4 days!) so just shout if there's anything you want from there.
                                Christine
                                Researching:

Comment

Thanks Christine!

Comment

Working...
                                  X