charles henry smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charles henry smith

Need help.. and any links ? to find family of my Grandfather Charles Henry Smith a cattle dealer Reading Berkshire. he married Ada Andrews 1889 in St Andrews church East Hagbourne . the imfo I seek is before this date (1889) ???? were did he live..(no address on marriage cert only East Hagbourne. who were his parents. I do have from his marriage cert father was charles Smith ... age 23 in 1889 age 69 in 1929 when he died a 6year diff...His wife Ada I have had no problems researching and am willing to share this info.

Ann Orwin (nee Smith )

according to the marriage index he was Henry Charles Smith and he married Ada Andrews at Wallingford Berkshire (FMP) in 1889

will search under this now.

Jan

Comment

This will be them on 1911 census 41 Great Knollys Street, Reading

Charles Henry Smith 50
      Ada Smith 40
      Charles Henry Smith 18
      Jacke Smith 2
      Nellie Smith 15
      Ada Smith 11
      Mable Smith 7
      William John Marshall 31
      Rose Annie Marshall 31
      Mabel Annie Marshall 2
      William John Marshall 0

1901 41 Gt Knolly's St occ Cattle Dealer
      Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

Chas H Smith 38
      Ada Smith 33
      Charles Smith 8
      Nellie Smith 5
      Ada Smith 1
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

What was his father's occupation on the marriage cert? Also witness names?

Is it Charles Henry or Henry Charles on the marriage cert as in Jan's post?
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-04-15, 21:25.
        Kat

Comment

Births Jun 1868
          SMITH Charles Henry Reading 2c 357
          However this could be the b c for this Charles Henry with father Charles which cannot be yours as he is single:
          1891 census
          Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Charles Smith 55
          Emma Smith 51
          John Leo Smith 25
          Charles Henry Smith 23
          Emma Louisa Smith 20
          Ada Florence Smith 17
          Walter Sydney Smith 15
          Frank Wm Smith 11
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-04-15, 21:35.
          Kat

Comment

He is calling himself H C (Henry Charles) in 1891 census and says he was born Bristol1868 - cattle dealer

Kat

Comment

Hello everyone .. thankyou for your comments although the advice you give me is also the same as I have found the one for 1891 showing him single I wondered if it may have been a mistake .he was married 1889 East Hagbourne first birth of theres 1893 a son Charles Henry.. and so the christian name runs through the family it seems.
              I will endeavour to dig deep into Ancestry and other online search sites. thankyou once again
              my father was the son born 1909 Jack..

Comment

possible ???? probably was visiting at the time of the census and a mistake was made .

Comment

Hi Ann,

The 1891 census for him is post #6 - not the one in post 5 - They are living 8 Chatham Court, St Mary, Reading. He is born 1868, Bristol, and, because his wife Ada is b 1829 Hagbourne, Berks and he is a cattle dealer I'm pretty sure that it's them.
                  If you want to go further back we need the info from post #4
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-04-15, 13:01.
                  Kat

Comment

It looks like he was born Henry Charles as on his marriage cert 1889 and the 1891 census but later changed to Charles - probably preferred Charles to Henry. That happens a lot

His father's occupation on Marriage cert would certainly help.
                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      It looks like he was born Henry Charles as on his marriage cert 1889 and the 1891 census but later changed to Charles - probably preferred Charles to Henry. That happens a lot

His father's occupation on Marriage cert would certainly help.
                      fathers OCCUPATION ON MARRIAGE CER WAS LABOURER.. with same name as son Charles.I didnt think this was very useful.
                      I did try the Henry Charles search .. but to no avail... was hoping the marriage might have been recorded in a magazine or newspaper of East Hagbourne ????
                      the witnesses were defently from Adas family side willie Mills and Edith Mills this being Ada Andrews mothers maiden surname .

Comment

Hi Ann,
                        Being a labourer narrows the field of search, admittedly not by much but we now know he wasn't a doctor, a shop keeper or a railway guard etc.
                        I wonder why he was registered as Henry Charles then?
                        How did you find the Marriage cert originally _ was it ordered through the GRO from the ref and name of Henry as in post #2 or did you find the cert another way?

So are you dismissing the 1891 census for Henry and Ada post 6?
                        Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                          Hi Ann,
                          Being a labourer narrows the field of search, admittedly not by much but we now know he wasn't a doctor, a shop keeper or a railway guard etc.
                          I wonder why he was registered as Henry Charles then?
                          How did you find the Marriage cert originally _ was it ordered through the GRO from the ref and name of Henry as in post #2 or did you find the cert another way?

So are you dismissing the 1891 census for Henry and Ada post 6?
                          say Reading There first born living child was 1893 naming him Charles Henry (8 chatham Court) they then moved to 31 Gt Knolly st with a further 3 daughters and finally my Dad in 1909. then in 1919 they moved further up the same road to no 31 this at that time was previously a public house The Drovers.. so from there marriage date I am familiar with his life in Reading and his family before then a complete mystery ????. I am always interested and reply to all answers in my finding Grandad before 1889...
                          Thankyou
                          Ann

Comment

Working...
                          X