Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding details of children born to two specific people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding details of children born to two specific people.

Hi all, I'm trying to put together a family tree for my wife, the only problem is we only have a small amount of information and no relatives to talk to. My wife's father didn't give her much information regarding his brothers and sisters (names or how many) before he pased away. We do however have his parents details. So, my question is, can we find all children born to these two people?

Thanks Simon

Yes, it is possible. You would need to provide more information.
    Vonny

Comment

You can add the details here select Birth, then add surname, next add Mothers Maiden Name. add approximate dates with about 20 year range, then of course you will need to apply for birth Certificates from General register Office, https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...contact_us.asp

If you need further help the we are here to help

Edna

Comment

You need to confirm what you've found with certificates. Never assume anything and start with yourself.

there could be second marriages, step children - all sorts of scenarios.

i spent a lot of time,money and certificates,travelled to records offices and then finally got grandfathers marriage certificate only to find His father wasn't who I thought it was. His father had died quite young and I'd followed wrong line.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
          http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
          You can add the details here select Birth, then add surname, next add Mothers Maiden Name. add approximate dates with about 20 year range, then of course you will need to apply for birth Certificates from General register Office, https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...contact_us.asp

If you need further help the we are here to help

Edna
          This approach only works from the September quarter of 1911 when the birth index shows the mother's maiden name alongside the name of the child so doing a search like this will produce a list of people whose parents have the names you are looking at but be careful - sometimes there are parallel families with the same two sets of surnames. The places of birth may distinguish yours from others but even then not entirely.

Certificates are the only sure way to establish the facts - the indexes are a guide to how to get to those facts.

If you would like to tell us their names (only if you know they are deceased/born long enough ago to be assumed deceased) we can help you look. Once you have names you can start to go back and look at the censuses - the latest one available is 1911 and then you start to see families together in the places where they lived - that makes it a whole lot easier as the census will show who parents are for the children listed. This still needs confirming with certificates but it's an easier way to find people.

Good luck!
          Margaret

Comment

OK, where do I start. The name I'm working with is unfortunately Green lol. I have the marraiage certificate for my wife's grandparents who married in 1901 and using ancestry.co.uk and the census information I have managed to work out some of the information gaps that we had. I have one person without a d/o/b that we are unsure about so have worked out he could have been born either around 1916 or after 1923. But working with the name James Green in Birmingham after 1916 is bringing up a lot of results. I have found someone on ancestry.co.uk who has a coreponding family tree so have contacted them for additional info. Thanks all for your help, much appreciated.

Simon

Comment

Here is the info I'm working with:

George Frederick Green, born 1880, married 26 May 1901 to:

Alice Stride, born 13 October 1880, died 4 August 1948.

These are my wife's grandparents who we have the marriage certificate for. But we have son on our list by the name of James Grern but can't find any info.

Comment

Where were they married? Did they all live in Birmingham? What are their father's names and occupations which will be on their marriage certificate. Need this info to find them on the censuses.
                Witness names?
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-04-15, 13:48.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

This will be the marriage but we need the other info.

Marriages Jun 1901
                  BERESFORD Arthur Edward Birmingham 6d 178
                  GREEN George Frederick Birmingham 6d 178
                  LINE Elizabeth Birmingham 6d 178
                  Stride Alice Birmingham 6d 178
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

George Frederick Green, 21, bachelor, 23 Barker Street, s/o Joseph Green, carman
                    Alice Stride, 21, spinster, 29 Barker Street, d/o William Stride, tube drawer (?)

married on 26 May 1901 at St Mark's, Birmingham after Banns

witnesses were James Parker and Blanche Alice Green

STG
                    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 06-04-15, 14:04.
                    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                      George Frederick Green, 21, bachelor, 23 Barker Street, s/o Joseph Green, carman
                      Alice Stride, 21, spinster, 29 Barker Street, d/o William Stride, tube drawer (?)

STG
                      Here they are in 1911 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8912 married 10 years 3 children born 3 still living.

George age 30 born Birmingham silver polisher
                      Alice age 30 born Birmingham
                      George age 6 - ditto
                      Minnie age 9 - ditto
                      Henry under 1 year - ditto

Margaret

Comment

Sorry, forgot to add:

George was a Polisher
                        Alice was a Japanner

STG

Comment

Other children from the BMD index

Edward L Green born September quarter 1912 Birmingham
                          Doris Green born June quarter 1915 Birmingham
                          John A Green born March quarter 1923 Birmingham

Can't see any more. Presume the war intervened between Doris and John!

No sign of a James Green - have you any idea of year of birth?
                          Margaret
                          Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-04-15, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            Here they are in 1911 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8912 married 10 years 3 children born 3 still living.

George age 30 born Birmingham silver polisher
                            Alice age 30 born Birmingham
                            George age 6 - ditto
                            Minnie age 9 - ditto
                            Henry under 1 year - ditto

Margaret
                            The GRO index has a Henry J Green birth reg Q1 1911 - could James have been a second forename? We won't know the answer to that without either a cert or a baptism record, which would also show the parents of that Henry.

Do you have any other information about your James? Marriage/death date, birth cert of a child, could confirm whether or not your James Green had any additional forenames.

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 06-04-15, 14:39.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post

STG
                              Yes, that's the one!

Comment

There's a baptism for a Henry Joseph Green on 5 Mar 1911 at St Paul's, Birmingham, s/o George Frederick and Alice Green of 2/25 St Mark's Street. George is an electro plate polisher.

STG

Comment

Ok, here is what I have, as above the marriage details are correct,

George Frederick Green - Born 1880 (Birmingham), I believe the parents are Joseph Green Born 1841 (Berkshire) and Martha C Green Born 1853 (Cheshire)

Alice Stride - Born 13/10/1880 (Birmingham) - Died 4/8/1948 (Birmingham), I believe the parents are William Stride Born 1858 (Birmingham) and Elizabeth Earles Born 1859 (Birmingham)

George Frederick Green and Alice Stride Children:
                                  Minnie Alice Green - 6/8/1901 - 3/12/1960 (Birmingham)
                                  George Frederick Green - 16/2/1905 - March 1981 (Birmingham) (Married Beatrice Greatback 26/7/1936)
                                  Henry Joseph Green - 15/2/1911 - May 1985 (Birmingham)
                                  Doris Green - 1916 - 9/3/1940 (Birmingham) (Married Thomas Moore Dec 1936)
                                  John Alfred Green - 6/2/1923 - 18/10/2001 (Birmingham) (Married June Rita Stewart)

The Mystery James Green the only thing I can think of, is he was born some time after the 1911 census.

Another question I have is, how can I tell if any of these people have any descendants?

Thanks for all your help.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by MrP View Post
                                    Ok, here is what I have, as above the marriage details are correct,

George Frederick Green - Born 1880 (Birmingham), I believe the parents are Joseph Green Born 1841 (Berkshire) and Martha C Green Born 1853 (Cheshire)

Alice Stride - Born 13/10/1880 (Birmingham) - Died 4/8/1948 (Birmingham), I believe the parents are William Stride Born 1858 (Birmingham) and Elizabeth Earles Born 1859 (Birmingham)

George Frederick Green and Alice Stride Children:
                                    Minnie Alice Green - 6/8/1901 - 3/12/1960 (Birmingham)
                                    George Frederick Green - 16/2/1905 - March 1981 (Birmingham) (Married Beatrice Greatback 26/7/1936)
                                    Henry Joseph Green - 15/2/1911 - May 1985 (Birmingham)
                                    Doris Green - 1916 - 9/3/1940 (Birmingham) (Married Thomas Moore Dec 1936)
                                    John Alfred Green - 6/2/1923 - 18/10/2001 (Birmingham) (Married June Rita Stewart)

The Mystery James Green the only thing I can think of, is he was born some time after the 1911 census.

Another question I have is, how can I tell if any of these people have any descendants?

Thanks for all your help.

Simon
                                    Well James is not showing up on the birth index all the way through from 1911 to 1923. Have you seen his birth certificate?

To find descendants of the ones where you show marriages you do the same as we have just done ie. search the birth index (in this case 1916- 2006) for the surname of the man and put the woman's surname to find births to that marriage. Obviously put the years relevant to marriages so for George Green who married Beatrice in 1936 I would put year of birth for the search as 1946 +/- 10 years. That will show any births Green/Greatback.

You can do this on FreeBMD as mentioned before.

Margaret
                                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-04-15, 15:52.

Comment

The name James Green was given to my wife by her dad, but he hadn't been in contact with them for a long time. I think I'll put that name on the back boiler for a while. I'll have a look at the birth registers for the others, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MrP View Post
                                        The name James Green was given to my wife by her dad, but he hadn't been in contact with them for a long time. I think I'll put that name on the back boiler for a while. I'll have a look at the birth registers for the others, thanks.
                                        Well, yes. We often find that anecdotal information is not accurate for a variety of reasons - memory being the main one!

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X