Registers & Log-Books, 1870-1914,FMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registers & Log-Books, 1870-1914,FMP

Could anyone on here please do a Look-up for me in these Records? (My subs have expired.)

There is a William James Wilson showing up in 1873 on there as attending the Naval Training Ship, 'HMS Indefatigable'.

I would like to check if it could possibly be my late Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860 - 1937).

Cheers, Holly.
    Last edited by Holly; 04-04-15, 09:30.

Hi Rose I have had a look and it is saying that a Mary Wilson was his mother, (occup of mother, none Character was good) father Dead, he was aged 13, lived at Rose Place,he was 4.5inches tall, weight 70lbs, born Liverpool, school attended, was Corporation School, Scotland Road, Religion, Protestant,admmitted looks like 2nd Sept 1873, 'On what terms' by order of the committee, for three years.....Character on leaving the ship was 'Very good' general knowledge very good, height 4ft 8 3/4inches weight 88lbs.....also says , but I am not 100% I am reading it write, but to me it looks like........'Date of leaving the ship and Occup...' 12th Jun 1876 left and joined the ship 'Ford of the Soles' ( I think) Morpa Williamson, Milliagan & co. (other think, maybe someone else will be able to read it better)..anyway.the rest says...he became an ordinary seaman at 20shilling per month...

hope that helps and it what you are looking for..........Lilly
    Last edited by Lilly the flower; 04-04-15, 10:28.

Comment

Many thanks for looking Lilly, - much appreciated.

(Many years ago I used to live in Blackheath:-)

This chap does sound incredibly short! (No one left alive to ask about his height though...).

I will put him down as a possible contender, - as although my late Grandfather obviously thought that he had been born in Manchester, I have long suspected that this might have been wrong, as I have never been able to find a Birth for him.

Thanks so much,
      Holly.

Comment

Hi Holly thats OK, Manchester is only about 30 odds miles from Liverpool, so maybe its possible....I dont think he was really that short for the time (maybe he didnt eat his greens lol) he was only 13 years old remember, and Queen Victoria was only 4ft 11inches tall. Our Queen Elizabeth is only just over 5 ft tall.... good luck.......Lilly.. ps Blackheath/Greenwich has some lovely markets ..
        Last edited by Lilly the flower; 04-04-15, 13:35.

Comment

Working...
        X